2022 Off-season Plan

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans23, Jan 24, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Robinson has access to all practice and can personally interact with players at his will. Robinson is in a position to evaluate and has full knowledge of totality of situation. PLUS its robinsons job to make that evaluation ... he choose poorly

and I disagree with your assessment that majority of GoTitans wanted to pass on Conklin

#131 GoT, Feb 13, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2022
  2. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

Even hindsight I still don’t think keeping Conklin was really possible, either that or they accept other positions just stay crap.

GM has the constant attempt at balancing the cap and keeping the best players possible to fill an entire roster. Sometimes, even good players, have to go. Conklin was coming off a weak year of performance, unknown for sure what he’d return to, and he would have been very expensive with a bunch of other holes across the roster including pass rush, which by default across the league, isn’t cheap.

I’d like to hear Jrob’s legit take (not just a public statement) on how he thinks about those decisions that offseason. It was also only his second year as a GM. Like I posted earlier, any position would be given leniency on a mistake so long as they learn from it. Subjective by us, but has he learned from some of his earlier GM moves that could be considered mistakes?

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  3. Tricky

Tricky Starter

Part of my off-season plan is laughing at the Colts.

• LOL LOL x 3
    • High Five High Five x 2
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

Will be interesting to see what they do at QB.

• Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  5. Rwill

Rwill Pro Bowler

After signing Lewan to such a high contract (at the time) it made it very very difficult to pay Conklin what he wanted. It was even more difficult with him coming off an injury and hard to know if he was going to return to full form or not.

• High Five High Five x 2
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  6. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

Given that Conklin trashed his knee again Week 7 this year, I'm not sure we wouldn't be trashing Robinson for re-signing the guy.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  7. Titanic_Sub

Titanic_Sub Pro Bowler

No guarantee he would've blown his knee out here but yeah it's impossible to say either way how Conklin would've worked out here

8. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

Sure, but his play validates our decision.

The problem wasn't letting Conklin walk for top RT money in the league. The problem was drafting Wilson. You also have to consider that we might not have gotten one of those defensive pieces like Bud or Autry if we signed Conk.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  9. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

Sort of hitting the FF button on how it rolled out.
    Fully agree, if we sign Conk, no money for other key players.
    The problem (aside from “replacing” him with Wilson) was the money was spent on bad pass rushers. Titans needed pass rush, just clowney and that other turd from ATL were giant wastes of money.

JRob was smart in cutting losses on those scrubs to go after autry and Dupree.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  10. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

I think we are in a very similar situation with Landry as we were with Conklin (except the injury issue). They both are very solid players that we would love to have on the team, but the cap makes it impossible to keep everyone. Landry is a great piece to have for the defense, but is not a player teams really have to scheme against…Landry isn’t going to consistently beat OTs one on one…he is greatly helped by the other players on the DL who demand double teams…rarely do I see an offense that actually schemes to double Landry. I love Landry and would like to have him back, but I understand from a cap standpoint you have to spread your money around…we have paid Dupree and are getting ready to pay Simmons…I think we would probably be fine with picking up a young FA like Muhammad from the Colts, drafting a young edge guy and then having Weaver return from injury.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar