Young's lack of maturity

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Sep 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DLS33

DLS33 Guest

100% agree

2. Tackhead #9

Tackhead #9 Harder, better, faster, stronger

Is he? I'm a big fan of Vince, but there's only so long that the Titans can win games in spite of his performance before they look somewhere else.

The way I see it, Vince has faced adversity all throughout his career - people thought he couldn't do it, his awkward throwing motion gave them concerns, etc., but all throughout school he proved them wrong. He showed them that what he did brought success - he just kept succeeding despite all the doubt. 'Can't nobody tell me nothing.'

So now, we arrive at the NFL level, and finally he's not proving anyone wrong anymore. To be so great for all those years, then to suddenly hit a wall and not be able to overcome it? His magic is dwindling, and it's gotta be frustrating for him. He's not going to be receptive to the criticism because he's heard it all his life, but he's been able to succeed up to this point. Now what we've got is akin to a frustrated little kid who isn't quite so good when put against the big boys.
    So what will make Vince mature? He's said it again and again, he'll fix this and rectify that, but he's got to want to change. He's got to see that these changes will add to his game, not undermine it... Play the mental game, Vince. Physical ability this and instincts that aren't going to help if you can't be an emotionally, mentally strong man. It sounds like a really obvious solution, but I would love to see Steve McNair on the scene. Tell him how to get his head on right, and carry himself. At least Vince would be more likely to listen if it's coming from Steve...

3. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Volek.

4. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

Exactly - I am a big supporter of Vince. I think he has the raw skills to be an excellent QB in this league, and I give him plenty of slack for his play on the field. Every QB throws INTs. Every QB misses the mark occasionally - and young QBs do it all the time. Even Peyton looked horrible last night. But there never has been and never will be a successful QB who doesn't know how to leave those things behind.

Message to Vince: everything you've been criticized for on the field will come to you as you keep working and improving. Another display like that on the sidelines and you'll never get the chance to prove it. The only thing in your control right now is you. Time to grow up.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. Tackhead #9

Tackhead #9 Harder, better, faster, stronger

What the hell Fish? Trying to play it like it's a good sign of his competitive nature? Damage control is one thing, but he truly is coddling the young man. Because he's young by NFL standards, we tend to forget, Vince Young is in fact 25. He's not a little kid. I'm five years younger, and I can take criticism and setbacks better than that.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

I personally think the pouting has been overblown. Seems like every time he is hurt, someone wants to say he is pouting. I just don't see it. Whatever happened here is more likely due to injury. Whatever the result, or whatever happened, I don't care anyway, qb's pout, qb's get mad, qb's get booed, I don't care, as long as you strap up the next week and try to win again. I've seen Tom Brady, Troy Aikman, and Dan Marino all lose their cool. It just part of being a qb. Shoot, I've seen players like Pippen refuse to take the court. These things happen. Call them immature. Sure. But they happen all the time to the good, the bad, and the ugly. It is not news nor team affecting. This is the NFL. It's a bumpy ride until you win the superbowl and every story is overblown. And for those who want to use this as a display in the loss of confidence, feel free, qb's lose confidence in every game. Everyone does. I'm not that worried about a loss in confidence either, until it affects your performance over a season, like a Rick Ankiel or Steve Sax for example. Plenty of games to regain some swagger if needed. And because we won, it even lessens the effect. Players bounce back pretty easily after wins even if they performed poorly. I expect the same here when at last he returns.

7. jfrancis04

jfrancis04 AKA jonboy_the_titan

Bulluck: poor word choice or jab at VY?

"No one is going to quit on this side of the ball." http://www.dnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080908/SPORTS/809080314

Last sentence of the article. So...poor choice of words or was Bulluck calling VY out?

Bulluck and VY have always seemed fairly close (going on vacation together and what not), so maybe he could talk some sense into VY.

I did a search TitanJeff, but couldn't find anything on this topic specifically. Merge if necessary.

8. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

This is a great post. Well thought out and insightful. Well done.:applause:

9. Titanville

Titanville Need New Coach

There's being a fan and then there's hommerism and this is nothing more than hommerism in it's finest. When Vince walked off the field to the boos after the second interception, he tossed his helmet a good 10-15 ft in the air and promptly plopped his rear on the bench and pouted the entire time. He never grabbed his hammy, never called or asked for a trainer and never limped. He quite simply pouted like my 7 year son does after missing his shot at a 3rd goal in his soccer game sat. As a leader of a NFL team and as much as he is paid and at his age, you CANNOT act like that and expect your team to stand behind you and go out of their way to help you on and off the field. Especially when he just flat out and blatantly refused to go back on the field. If you believe for a second that it was about a tight hammy then your gullible and were obviously not at the game or not watching the sideline as I was. He quite an exchange with Fisher before deciding reluctantly to go back in.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. Alpha-Centuri

Alpha-Centuri Starter

Vince needs to grow up... It is as simple as that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar