Welcome to goTitans.com! Log in or sign up to be a part of the best Tennessee Titans fan site available.

Young May be Willing to Reduce Salary

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TorontoTitanFan, Aug 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

Moolah:
    $71
    I believe base salary is $7.5 in '10 and $8.5 in '11. His cap hit is just over $14m in '10.
  2. Psychop1 Big Tee

Washington
    Moolah:
    $4,780
    His base salary would be $7.5 million, but he would also be due a roster bonus of $4.25 million, which wouldn't be paid, and therefore wouldn't count against the cap if he were cut. His prorated signing bonus would be $2.9 million. Over two years, that accelerates to $4.8 million, so there's potential to save over $7 million in cap space by cutting him after this season. Right now, they would actually lose over $3 million against the cap (and another $3 million in dead money next season, assuming there will be a salary cap next season) if they cut him. I don't think the club would pay him that type of money to remain the backup. That's $11.75 million Adams would have to come out of pocket, not just against the cap, to keep Young on the bench. If he somehow proves to be a star this year, I'm sure the club would have no problem paying him that, but they are not going to pay him that to be a backup.
  3. moose4now Starter

Moolah:
    $55
    I agree. That may be part of it.

But, I'm willing to say that most of this comes from him maturing even more as, not only a quarterback (we hope), but as a person.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.