Young has Mixed Game at Pro Bowl

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Slamma..

Huh? So vince was on the field for 32% of the snaps and his team while he was QB accounted for 33% of the yards. So? Vince himself accounted for 55 of those yards unless you want to give him credit for handing off to tomlison which he did about 5 straight times on that TD drive.

By the way since 1990 teams in the pro bowl average 24.5 points per game. the average in the nfl is 20.

2. SwingOnDeezBalz

SwingOnDeezBalz Banger of Infant Horseys

Again, seriously contemplating a Pro Bowl performance is like talking about Samuel L. Jackson's performance in "Snakes on a Plane."

Was it good acting?
    Is HE a good actor?
    Did he do well considering the circumstances?
    How was his acting in comparison to the other actors in the movie?

There's really no point in concerning yourself with any technicalities when it comes to things like this. The stage is so goofy and outlandish that the performer cannot give a good or bad performance, they can only perform.

If a QB in a Pro Bowl threw 20 perfect passes and they were all either catches or drops by the wideouts, then you could say, well, he's really good. He's accurate with all the throws, and it doesn't even matter that he's not on the same page with the receivers.

However, that never happens, so you're kind of wasting your time trying to analyze the performance.

3. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Wow, that may be the best post I've ever read by you, swing. That's not meant as a negative about your other posts, but that this one is surprisingly accurate. It's hard to really get serious about judging anyone.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Are you serious..??

The stage is so goofy and outlandish that the performer cannot give a good or bad performance, they can only perform.
    -----------------------------

What is this pee wee league? Why do they even keep score?

Of course you can have a good or bad game just because it was an unusual circumstance doesn't change that. If your suggesting that it doesn't matter you are right. It is a meaningless game and the performances have no bearing on how good player is. But certainly you can say that a player had a good or bad performance.

5. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

You can look at it, but it's hard to judge performance because so many things are different than in normal games. The adjustments are such that it's hard to judge performance.

6. SwingOnDeezBalz

SwingOnDeezBalz Banger of Infant Horseys

You've lost your control in the experiment, Dr. Footballensteiner.

Without control, there are too many variables, and nothing can be proven or disproven.

Example:
    Who's better between these 2 QBs?

QB1, Rookie: 15-20, 275 Yards, 2 TD's 5 rush att for 67 yards, 0 INTs, in a regular season loss.

QB2, 2nd Year: 16-20, 300 yards, 3 TD's 5 rush att for 85 yards, 0 INT's in a Pro Bowl Win.

Tell me what you can derive from this experiment. You know nothing else about these two men.

Remember in a pro bowl, no blitzing, hard hitting discouraged, intentional grounding not called, and everyone is supposed to get the ball and publicity.

7. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Ah...In come the "it was the pro-bowl! it's silly" crutches. When just before the game it was "OMG OMG OMG YOUNG MADE PRO-BOWL! HOORAY! ONLY ROOKIE QB SINCE...".
    You can use the "Snakes on a Plane" analogy if you wish, but many people questioned Samuel L Jackson for accepting that role. So, why not do the same with Young? Why was he even at that game? He didn't earn it. He had nothing to gain from it. What was the point?

Had he had a great game, everyone would sing his praises, but since he didn't let's all blast the game itself rather than his performance.

8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Roll...

You can SAY anything you like.

However, proving it is hard enough in a regular game but harder still in this situation. Take Young's INT. Was that Young's fault (for throwing a horrific 5 yd pass) or the RB's fault (for not running the right route)? I can argue that it was the RB running the wrong route because it's hard to believe that VY can drop a nice 12 yd out right on the hands of a WR he's barely practiced with (where's THUNDER!) but misses by 2 yds on a straight 5 yd throw?

Or was it VY's fault by simply throwing a horrific pass? Or was it VY's fault for thinking the RB was supposed to run a curl but he wasn't (meaning the RB did his job)?

So who's fault was it? Hard to say and unless someone explains it, it's very speculative.

Therefore, how do you judge Young's performance when incompletions or even INT's are hard to know if it's due to a bad throw or a miscommunication with the WR's (or a lack of timing)?

More compelling is that 2 of the most accurate QB's in the league (both having their top WR to play with as well) both didn't have great days throwing the ball either. Young isn't as good a passer as Carson Palmer or Peyton Manning (yet) and he certainly didn't have a Harrison, Wayne, or Chad Johnson to throw to (meaning his own STAR WR). So how does that factor into your equation?

IMO, we saw out of Young what I expected to see. Some excellent plays, some plays only he and a Vick can make, but also some rookie mistakes...

And I'm VERY happy he's our starting QB!!!

To me he had a good performance..not because of stats...but because I saw flashes of what he CAN be!

Gut

9. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Drew would have dropped it...:))

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Gut...

You failed to mention the 2 fumbles.

This isn't about what other QBs did, it isn't about the weather. it's the simple question did vince play well; answer no.

I did get teared up with the end of your speech. Would be very appropriate if we were talking about a special olympic kid or a girl who had her reputation besmeerched and not a highly paid QB in the pro bowl. You like the fact that vince made the pro bowl, never complianed that he was not worthy but you can't make a simple honest assessment of how he played? And now you imply that because my assessment is honest i must be bashing him. Is that what this is about?

You are glad he is our QB? Well who in the hell is not glad? What does that have to do with any of this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar