Would you vote to ban hand-held cellphone use while driving?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CRUDS, Jun 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

[​IMG]

Laws like that will just make big brother drunk with power. Next thing you know, they'll be telling us we can't smoke weed in our own homes or have consensual sex with other adults... oh... umm...

2. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Feel free to ride your bike without a helmet. But if you get hurt and have to have medical care for life, don't bill the government!

I'm ok with any kind of law that restricts what people can do while driving. Driving is a potentially dangerous activity to anyone around you. I would happily give up talking on the phone, eating, and GPS systems (even BJs, Jay!), if I felt like everyone would do the same. It's not illegal, so I don't give those things up. I'd put up with them if they were the law though. I also think that they're ok as revenue generating laws, to add on an extra fine whenever someone is stupid enough to speed/drive recklessly/run a light/etc... and not quit talking on their phone.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

I've been forced to pay for government health care since I started working at 15. Trust me the government runs the health care system in the same efficient manner that they run everything else. I'm sure if I wasn't forced to purchase government health care I'd be free as a consumer to choose the level of health care coverage that was right for me.

My family physician passed away about 10 years ago. I've since been unable to find GP and am forced to go to walk-in clinics when in need of any type of medical care. When you're over forty going to a walk-in for a physical isn't cool (not that it's fun at the best of times). That's the reality of government health care.

Michael Moore can kiss my ***.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

This probably should move to Taboo after my comments buuuuuuut...

Driving is NOT a right. Period.

While I agree there are numerous things which create as many distractions as talking on a cell phone, until people accept full responsibility (including financial) for their actions, we'll see more and more laws like this pass.

:tj:

5. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

While a lovely story, that doesn't really respond to the idea that if the government is going to pay to take care of you, they should be able to make some restrictions upon your actions that could be stupid and cause significant damage to you and others. If we had complete public health care in the US I'd be fine with the government banning smoking completely, it would be worth it.

6. The Mrs

The Mrs Crush on Casey Starbucks!

I think it's a dumb law. Those bluetooth ear thingys are so ugly and tacky. My friend's would never let me live it down if I got caught wearing one of those things on my ear. I can talk on the phone and drive, ask The Don and Bulluck4MVP!

7. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

Would you be okay with a ban on alcohol, caffeine or fatty foods? Using the strain on public health care as a justification to take away personal freedoms is something I'll never be okay with.

And yeah, it was a lovely story.

8. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

alcohol or caffeine .. i laugh in your general direction. :grrhee:

9. Bobo

Bobo Guest

I talk on the phone all the time while driving. Texting is out of the question, but driving and talking is no harder to me than walking and talking. I've never drove recklessly or come close to causing a wreck because of it.

I realize many people seem to not be able to handle two tasks at the same time. Still, I wouldn't vote either way. I generally don't want others to try and control me and I don't want to think I know best for others to try and control them. Maybe it's just my natural s.f.w. attitude.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar