Wonderlic scores of some of this years QB's

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by JCBRAVE, Apr 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

He didn't score the highest, thats why he's not on top

2. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

As a borderline genius myself, i will say that raw intelligence is largely overrated. Every once in a while, it can be an amusing party trick, like recalling something verbatim from months ago, or doing math in your head while everyone is punching a calculator.

But it also sometimes means you freeze... You have so much data and analysis going through your head that it locks you up. Sometimes, in football, I would imagine top flight intellect is a liability. See Joey Harrington. Some of the average guys just play by feel, instinct, and are successful.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

Bingo. Presence and feel for the game in live action has less to do with how bright someone is and more to do with their natural ability to recognize, dissect and deliver.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Many of you are looking at this backwards. The wonderlic is a piece of information to go along with many other pieces of information used in evaluating a guy. It never was expected to be the end all in evaluating a QB. To start with you have to look at skill set. Bill Gates would score close to 50 on the test but he can't throw a ball more than 20 yards so what difference would it make?

What if a guy scored a 10 on his wonderlic and then didn't appear that bright in interviews? And then you watch him on his Gruden interview and again not as sharp as you would like? Then you here through the grapevine that they had to simplify the offense in college for him because he was having problems. All these things would matter!

We had a QB prospect score poorly on the wonderlic so as to make you wonder if he was not intellectually impaired and guess what he was! Vince young was stupid! And his work ethic was not such that he could over come it.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I knew a psychologist who specialized in this field. She told me of a guy with only a 96 IQ who finished a Ph.D in psychology. He simply worked hard enough to accomplish that.

The same thing for an nfl QB. A 96 IQ is enough if it comes with character and a work ethic. A 130 IQ would not be enough without those things or if the player did not have the physical tools to begin with.

6. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

thank you RollTide, for explaining something that no one needed.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

About right...maybe a tantrum prone 8-10 year old.

8. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

It is all a crapshoot. Wonderlic scores mean about as much as "measurables" and other bs people us to evaluate playera coming from college. They are either good in the NFL or theyre not. It doesnt matter what they score on test, do at the combine, or where they are drafted.

9. Ten_Titans

Ten_Titans Pro Bowler

I took a sample test for this in my ******* "Sports' Science" class I took two years ago. I got a 39, and frankly, anyone scoring below a 20 has either never taken a test like this, or is simple.

It doesn't test knowledge. It tests your ability to process information quickly, and reach conclusions quickly. A skill needed to play QB.

But the fact of the matter is, the ability to take the square of 11 quickly may or may not be the same cognitive process as seeing what the safety is doing and throwing the ball quickly. So, you know, whatever.

EDIT: Vince Young got 8 of them right? There is no way....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar