Will Vince Young throw at the combine.

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by titanduck77, Feb 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Troupe4Prez

Troupe4Prez Guest

Great post prag, to say that Cutler is anything less than the 3rd best Qb is ridiculous. While he will probably wont rise above leinart and Young he has definitely set the bar for the top 3 qb's in the draft. Even if you look at his stats in a defensive savvy conference he put up good numbers for a team that should have led the nation in dropped passes. And the arm strength issue isn't even an issue. Anyone that saw the UT and Florida game saw how he could thread the needle with a frozen rope. I just believe that Young and Leinart are so talented and highly rated that you couldn't pass on them at the #3 position, but if we trade down and he's on the board its a totally different story.

2. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

Good post, but couple of issues....How can you say Cutler is more accurate than Young. The stats don't bear out. Young had a much better passing effiency rating. In fact, Young was better than Leinhart in that rating also. He also ad a better completion percentage, threw more TDs, they had basically the same number of yards...Again, not saying Cutler is a bad QB...he is a good one.

I think Young's arm is every bit as strong if not stronger than Cutler's, but since we haven't seen Cutler in a throwing "competition", hard to say. But Young did throw it 60-70 yards in the skills competition, so the arm strength argument is nil.

3. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

I don't think anyone was saying Cutler was less than the #3 QB, although maybe someone said Jacobs is better. Which is hard to say because haven't seen him as much. Of course many of the arguements being made for Cutler can be made for Jacobs also.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Nice post, Prag. But we need to remember we are not drafting for what the player can do for the Titans NOW but what he'll do in the next three to 10 seasons.

So I think this debate should be more about potential and less about who the better player is now. Young has the most POTENTIAL upside, IMO. I just don't see a ceiling with this kid.

That doesn't mean that the other two won't also improve and be solid QBs but I can see Young as someone who can take over the game with two minutes left and 80 yards to go for a TD. Like McNair did so often.

5. PragIdealist

PragIdealist Guest

I completly agree. Except the word Potential also needs to be tempered with the word Risk.

I think Young has just as much Risk to fail in the NFL as he does Potential to be great. Please dont take that to mean that I think he is going to fail or that I want him to. Thats definetely not the case. I think Young could become that future hof qb that people talk about for years- but that is tempered with equal risk.

Young's strengths are phenomenal- no doubt. But his weaknesses are polar opposite in that they are not necessariy things that are easy to overcome and they could drastically impinge on his ability to reach even an iota of that potential. - therefore more risk. I think the team that drafts Young is going to be rolling the dice a bit more than a team that picks one of the other two.

Leinart I think has the least risk associated with him. He is going to be a solid nfl qb. Maybe not a future hof, maybe not even a pro bowler (though probably he will). But he is probably going to be a solid pick.

Cuter is that mix. He has the tools to be in the realm of Favre or Elway. He also has more risk than Leinart. If he cant tweak his mechanics and learn some better decision making then he may never reach that potential. But I think the things he has to work on are easier to acheive (especially with chow and the Titans organization) than the things Young has to work on. So if we pick Cutler we still have the very good possibility on getting a hof qb without the same risk of that Young brings.

with Lienart I doubt we get a hof qb, but we can be comfortable that he wont be a bust.

With Young we may have the next Jordan of the NFL, but we might have the next Kwame Brown (attitude not included).

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

No doubt. And many think he is a boom or bust kind of player. There may be no in between.

I would love to be a fly on the wall if Reese were to ask Chow about him. Chow has done some outstanding work with young QBs but he's been able to work with them coming right out of high school. Could he do his mojo with Young?

I totally agree with your other comments as well though am not as high on Cutler as many here.

7. bulluck4dMVP

bulluck4dMVP Pro Bowler

the sky is the limit for vince

i would take that kid hands down with our #3 if he's there...

just watching tape of him, well i'll let it speak for itself

8. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Kyle Boller and JP Losman come to mind.

9. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Well we have:

Matt Leinart = Chad Pennington
    Vince Young = Akili Smith
    Jay Cutler = Kyle Boller

Pick your poison :thumb:

In all fairness the Young link should probably have been Mike Vick, then they're all 3 quarterbacks that aren't quite busts yet...

10. PragIdealist

PragIdealist Guest

ok, question

If we accept that Vince, Leinart, and Culter could each be either a) the next great thing, or b) the next heart breaking bust....

Then what do each of these guys need to do to not be the bust?

Vince's is the easiest for me to see. He needs to develop into more of a pocket passer where he thinks throw before run. He needs to show that he can read defenses and go through his progressions and he needs to show that he can thread the needle when he needs to. He needs to show that he can manage an NFL style offense and take snaps behind the center. If he can do all that and maintain the athleticism and his leadership qualities that he currently has then I think he will be a great qb.

Leinart is harder for me. I think he needs to show that he has the arm strength and that his tendency to float the long ball is due to habit and the college athletes he plays against rather than any defiency on his part. He needs to show that he can put zip on his passes, especially on the deep outs. He needs to show that he can be a leader when losing as well as when winning. He needs to show that he can take a beating behind OL's that are not stellar and he needs to show that he can move around in the pocket. He needs to show that he can take hits and not get rattled. All of which he may be able to do, but he needs to show those things.

Cutler- What does Cutler need to do to become the next Favre or Elway instead of Boller or Losman? Well, he needs to show consitent accuracy. He needs to show that he can make good decisions- yes he can thread the needle but does he know when to thread it and how consisentant can he do it. He needs to show that his tendency to throw off his back foot is due to his current/previous OL, and that he can adapt and change that. If he does each of those things will he not be a Boller or Losman?

Do these sound right? :hmm:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar