Will CJ get a new contract?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by tenforthewin, May 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pettso

pettso Starter

Uhh... this isn't high school football. The NFL is a business and he is an employee. If I feel like I should be paid more for doing what I do, I will tell my boss exactly that. Regardless of whether I love what I do, I should be compensated reasonably according to my value and performance.

CJ making 800k this year is not reasonable and if I were in his position I would look for a raise too. Demanding Manning/Brady money is also not reasonable though.

2. griff33daddy

griff33daddy Starter

yes and that is what he will do....that is just like saying you have worked at a place for 3 or 4 years and done the best at what you do--say marketing of some kind and telling your boss your not going to come in to work until he gives you the same money that a veteran person doing something different in marketing has done for the past 8-10 years is making

thats being greedy and only playing for money....be happy with a raise and continue playing...

3. mike75

mike75 Pro Bowler

i think the team will try and work with him in a reasonable way as long as he doesn't get too outrageous or start trying to break the bank.but sadly i think thats what he is going to do.he is going to want something based on all the things he has done so far.he has done some things no other running back has ever done.i think he already has 10 or more carries that went over 75 yards.some running backs are lucky to do that two or three times in an entire career and he is real close to breaking that record.he is also the all purpose leader in yardage in one season.everytime he touches the ball it could be for a long gain or more.in my thirty years of watching football i've seen one or two other backs that impresses me as much as him and one of them is Barry Sanders.there have been lots of good running backs through the years including Eddie George who i would put in my top ten.however there are certain backs like Chris and Barry Sanders who make opposing defenses go crazy worrying about how they will plan for them.

4. griff33daddy

griff33daddy Starter

only one?

id take eddie over cj any day of the week...

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

They will do whatever they can to keep CJ since we have a new QB in the house.

6. pettso

pettso Starter

Your mentality is outdated.

Successful companies don't pay people because they are "veterans" or because they have x years of experience. That mentality frustrates your young talent and pushes them out the door. They pay people for performance and results.

If I was doing a better job with my 3-4 years experience than someone who's been at the job for 8, why shouldn't I get paid more? Especially if I can take my talents (pun not intended) somewhere else and make more.

Obviously there's a slight difference with NFL contracts there but CJ has maybe (and that's a big maybe) 5 years to make the money he's going to live off the rest of his life. He's not gonna be an ESPN analyst and I doubt he's going to build a successful career with his exercise science degree. This is his one and only chance so why shouldn't he get what he deserves from Mr. Billionaire Adams?

If I were advising CJ, I'd tell him not to play unless the Titans offered him at least $5 million per year for the next 5 years and I'd probably push them for something closer to 6 or 7.

7. tenforthewin

tenforthewin Camp Fodder

Adrian Peterson is making almost 11 million this year. CJ would probably want to make that much....just saying. Not that I would pay a RB any where near that. That's very solid starting QB money.

8. pettso

pettso Starter

I take back the numbers I said in my previous post. The salaries I thought people are making were a little outdated.

I'd tell him not to play for anything under $7 million and try to get more.

9. griff33daddy

griff33daddy Starter

i was trying to make a reference between cj and manning and he doesnt deserve what manning or brady make....i wouldnt even give him 11 million as peterson is going to have a longer career than cj barring injuries from what cj has been through when fisher gave him the ball all 3 downs for his 2k season and last year

and everyone on this thread knows how tight the titans are with their money im not so sure that they will pay him so thats why i would rather trade him while there are backs just like him coming out this season along with bigger backs that we could take and get as many picks from him before just letting him walk for nothing....

its gonna be kinda like the melo drama in denver...to a certain extinct

10. pettso

pettso Starter

If they're looking to win now (next few years) it'd be in their best interest to keep him. He'd be a huge tool for Locker's development and is the sole reason our offense will remain threatening even with a new vet or rookie. Besides, they'd probably need to draft an RB with their first next year or pick up a decent FA so we'll have a decent amount of cash reserved for the RB position anyway.

If I were the FO, I'd look at retaining him for a slightly shorter, performance driven deal. Have his contract end around the time he's 29-30 and pay him like an all-pro until then. Though you're right, our FO is pretty tight with the wallet so I wouldn't be surprised if we just held him for his initial contract (letting him hold out if he chooses) then let him go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar