Welcome to goTitans.com! Log in or sign up to be a part of the best Tennessee Titans fan site available.

Why the media ignored the nashville flood

Discussion in 'Nashville' started by Daves not here, May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 1 user.
  1. Daves not here Camp Fodder

Moolah:
    $1
    2 people high five this.
  2. Deuce Wayne Damnit, I cant find my driving moccasins anywhere!

Martin
    Moolah:
    $15,237
    Hey! Someone that didn't blame it on Nashville being such better citizens than those of New Orleans. Awesome.

Floods just don't get much TV time. I remember seeing clips of many on the news in years past, but never any that really dominated the national media for much time. Katrina did, but that was due more to the Hurricane that caused the damage and killed so many.

People outside of the flood or those that haven't been in one will just see it as... a buttload of rain. You'd have to be close to really see the effects.
  3. GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Moolah:
    $0
    It's a good article.

Just to be clear, Katrina itself didn't cause very much damage to New Orleans. It weakened the levees, which broke afterwards from the flooding, and that's what caused almost all of the major damage. Katrina caused it indirectly, but the flooding was what did the damage.
    1 people high five this.
  4. Deuce Wayne Damnit, I cant find my driving moccasins anywhere!

Martin
    Moolah:
    $15,237
    Seems the hurricane would be what did the most of the structure damage that's evident by glancing. Damaged houses and all. I'd bet most that was due to the high winds.
    • Tip Jar Donor

Alex1939 Good picture of me from 10 years ago

Wright
    Moolah:
    $4,856
    You really think winds did the most damage during Katrina? :eh?:

More damage than the houses underwater?
  5. JCBRAVE #getyourlifetogether

Casey
    Moolah:
    $215,119
    High winds can rip roofs apart you know. It was a factor too, definitely not as big a factor as the houses being under water for weeks, but it didn't help.

The reason the flooding in Nashville wasn't covered as much was because of the oil in the gulf, and the terrorist down the street. Both are bigger stories. You guys are just lucky Tiger wasn't slipping up again, or else the outsiders would have never known it rained.
  6. cajuntitan 26.2ers can do it for hrs

Moolah:
    $0
    New Orleans was on the west side of the storm. The west side is the relatively mild side of the storm. Most of the rain, tornado's and storm surge(which does the most damage) are on the north east side of the storm. Nearly all of the damage done to New Orleans was from the flooding and nearly all of the deaths were caused by the inability of rescue workers to get into the city to help people because of the flooding (and the gun fire).
    1 people high five this.
  7. World Peace n/a

Moolah:
    $3,659
    My friend lived in NO when all of this is going down and people were sitting in stand still interstate traffic days before the storm hit. Many people couldnt escape katrina because getting on the highway was such a hassle to begin with.
  8. cajuntitan 26.2ers can do it for hrs

Moolah:
    $0
    This is what storm surge does...

Holly Beach, La before Rita

[IMG]

Holly Beach after Rita

[IMG]
  9. cajuntitan 26.2ers can do it for hrs

Moolah:
    $0
    That is true, but given that NO is 5 feet below sea level the evacuation order should have been called a lot sooner than it did. When the manditory evac was called it was already raining inland from the storm. The people waiting outside the Superdome were getting rained on. I think everyone learned some valuable lessons from that storm.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.