Where is this 'Rush 4' scheme coming from and will it end?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Tuk88, Dec 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

plus who knows how many innocent motorists are still with us now that Fat Albert has his Ferrari on K Street

2. amy

amy Starter

same defense with new D coach. I think a Albertless line is not the problem, but Cecil is. He has allowed sloppy play, too many penalties and too little effort. Can the team afford another year of that? I'm not looking for it to get better. As a former teacher, I can say with authority that if you don't establish the rules right off the bat and stay firm when they test you,your in for a lot of trouble. Plus, Cecil going beserk is not helping. Penalties and fines for a coach who can't control his temper is not acceptable.

3. Tuk88

Tuk88 Camp Fodder

Unfortunately, it looks like Fisher is here to stay, so I played close attention to any experimentation on the defensive schemes. They thoroughly mixed up the fronts on the first two series and absolutely dominated, sending the Seahawks backwards both times - it was a new approach. Then that was the end of the experimentation, and they went back to their front four only, and Seattle proceeded to get a rhythm and score three times before giving up in the 4th with the lead (which ironically, is what Fisher does).

I mean, how obvious can it be that you can't just depend on talent to win in this league anymore. Huge problems aren't solved by drafting for need, this is a coaching problem, and I hope the coach evolves in a big way between this season and the next. I honestly can't tell if Cecil is a bad DC, or if it's because Fisher is too conservative to let him scheme outside of the front four - the latter just doesn't jive with who Cecil is. The first two defensive series however, did.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Pacman 4 HoF

Pacman 4 HoF Starter

i been meaning to say something about this... when we were blitzing and mixing it up yesterday, our defense was absolutely killing it. then we proceeded to stop, and watch the seahawks turn the game into a nail biter for 3 and a half quarters... at some point in the coaches head, how is there not a thought that maybe what ever you were doing on the first drive (resulting in a 3 and out wth the offense moving backwards) might be more optimal than laying back and playing bend a lot, hopefully dont break defense. meh...

as for cecil, i think that this is fishers defense. the defensive gameplan (and offensive) hasnt changed in a freakin decade. i think if the titans were a nation, fisher would be a dictator in most aspects. also, you cant blame a first year guy taking over a defense that lost its by far best player. Chris hope and griffin were exposed as mediocre safetys. and nick harper has shown that hes the worst CB in the NFL. plus fisher probably calls the shots anyway... i dont blame cecil

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

The heavy blitzing was great but, at some point, teams adjust. If the Seahawks are keeping in a RB and/or TE, then running five or six into six to seven players makes little sense.

I think the Titans did pick and choose their blitzes. I also saw some fakes. But I agree that the aggressive defense early was fun to watch and very effective.

6. Tuk88

Tuk88 Camp Fodder

The irony is that the defense we depend upon allows the offense to not only adjust within a quarter, but the entire game. This partially explains why teams often score on us so easily by the second half, because we're running the same thing the entire game. By then, not only are they adjusted to it, they're practically feasting on it.

It's depressing to think that our season next year depends on whether or not we can draft or sign a pass rusher. Think about it - that's in some ways pinning an entire season on a player we don't have, with no guarantee whatsoever that he'll be any good, or stays healthy.

I don't like the odds.

7. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

The aggressive defense was very effective and the non-aggressive defense wasn't.

Here is the thing about the Seahawks or anyone else keeping TEs and RBs in to block. If they are blocking they aren't catching passes. So why not keep the heat on. I'd bet dropping 7 in pass coverage and giving a decent QB all day to throw is far less effective than dropping 5, rushing two extra guys and putting some pressure on the QB. We have even seen teams keep 6 or 7 in against our front 4 and still burn the retarded secondary. With a QB like Manning it can be laughable.

8. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

I have to agree - and I generally hate blitz-crazy schemes because they tend to be famine or feast... get a few huge plays then give up 50 yards.

But the fact is you HAVE to get pressure in this league. If your front 4 can do it then it makes little sense to bring extra men very often. If your front 4 can't do it then it makes little sense not to bring extra men.

Dropping 7 in coverage isn't enough when a QB has more than 4 seconds to throw - it only takes 1 receiver to slip through a seam and sometimes more men in coverage actually just increases the likelihood that the handoff from one zone to the next is going to breakdown. Getting 7 men to work as 1 is tougher than getting 4 to work as 1.

9. hoheff78

hoheff78 Camp Fodder

ah is not the reason the skins suck.

10. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Example: Seahawks keep their TE and RB in to stop the blitz. All the Seahawks have to do is hit a quick ball to the WR and, with Hood already playing back seven yards, a one-yard pass becomes a 25 yard gain when Hood whiffs. This happened.

To me, it's about disguising the blitz and keeping the QB guessing. Teams find answers when it is expected.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar