When "Fisherball" goes bad...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Oct 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Pardon my rant. This one rivals one of Gut's munchers.

There are so many problems facing the Titans right now it's hard to put a finger on any one area. But, to me, it boils down to the Titans no longer being able to play "Fisherball".

"Fisherball" requires the offense to grind out long drives focused mainly on the run and short passing game. It isn't about scoring fast but wearing down opposing defenses. It also allows the defense to rest so it can play an aggressive styles designed to generate pressure. Pressure leads to mistakes by the opposing offense, sacks, turnovers, etc. Special teams must be solid as field position is often a key.

Love it or hate it, this team is built around this style of play. When things don't fall into place, you then have issues the Titans don't have the skill set to overcome.

First and foremost, the Titans offense has had trouble stringing together first downs. Teams know they can focus on slowing CJ and then bring the house and put pressure on Collins in long yardage situations. So far, it's been pretty much the same formula we've seen from all the defenses the Titans have faced and they'll continue to see it until Fisher and Co can find some answers.

Besides the score, three clear indicators the Titans are not playing their style of football is Time of Possession, Turnover Ratio and Passes Attempted. The Titans are losing the time of possession battles and are on the ugly end of the turnover ratio. We are seeing 40+ passes a game by Collins who is on pace to have over 600 attempts.

Here are the '08 numbers vs the first four games of '09:

Pass Attempts: 28.15
    Turnover Ratio: +14
    Time of Possession: 29:19

Pass Attempts: 38.25
    Turnover Ratio: -5
    Time of Possession: 27:13

Collins clearly isn't the kind of QB who needs to be passing the football 40 times a game. The TO ratio is clearly the most glaring stat so far. ToP doesn't seem that dramatic but, if you look at what Fisher prefers, it's closer to the '07 number of nearly 32 minutes a game.

To right the ship, the Titans are going to have to do a better job on first down. Look at the first half yesterday:

1-10-TEN 20 (15:00) K.Collins pass incomplete deep right to N.Washington.
    1-10-TEN 20 (10:02) K.Collins pass short right to N.Washington to TEN 21 for 1 yard.
    1-10-TEN 20 (6:34) C.Johnson left end to TEN 21 for 1 yard.
    1-10-TEN 11 (1:34) C.Johnson right end to TEN 16 for 5 yards.
    1-10-TEN 35 (14:56) L.White up the middle to TEN 35 for no gain.
    1-10-TEN 49 (13:02) K.Collins pass short right to A.Crumpler to JAX 45 for 6 yards.
    1-10-JAX 18 (10:46) L.White left end to JAX 16 for 2 yards.
    1-10-TEN 22 (7:29) C.Johnson right end pushed ob at TEN 31 for 9 yards.
    1-10-TEN 21 (3:16) K.Collins pass short middle to C.Johnson to TEN 30 for 9 yards.
    1-10-TEN 20 :)27) (Shotgun) C.Johnson right end pushed ob at TEN 38 for 18 yards.
    1-10-TEN 38 :)17) (Shotgun) K.Collins pass short right intended for N.Washington INTERCEPTED by G.Alexander at TEN 48. G.Alexander toTEN 26 for 22 yards.

11 first downs. Six runs, Five passes. A good mix but six of these plays resulted in 0-2 yard gains or a turnover.

As bad as the offense has been, the more pressing issue, IMO, is the defense. With corners playing off seven yards, QBs know they always have the quick pass or slant which usually gains and easy five yards. The holes in the Titans zone have been exploited continuously as QBs know their receivers won't have to fight off a jam and can find the gaps. The pass rush is inconsistent and Cecil appears to be lost. The Titans continue to play the same schemes with the same horrendous results.

With the offense unable to sustain drives and the defense unable to get off the field on third down, the Titans D wears down. The Steeler's game is a prime example of a bad defense getting worse. Yeah, they miss Haynesworth but this runs much deeper.

Obviously, special teams have played its role. To me, it was the biggest factor in two of the Titans four losses. Hopefully, Mark Jones is a step in the right direction but the drop off here from last season has been massive.

With all the issues that had led to an 0-4 start, the most concerning thing to me is the lack of effort and intensity we saw yesterday. The Titans have zero swagger now. I can, at least, support a team who plays hard. If Fisher hasn't already lost the team, he better find some answers this week or the Titans will end up in one of the biggest beatdowns in franchise history next Sunday night and will be 0-6 at the bye.

• High Five High Five x 16
  2. TenACTyrant

TenACTyrant Hey Reynaldo TURN AROUND!

what bothers me most is this team has no long term plan. we have a lot of young studs, but we're going to have no one to throw the ball. best case we draft a good qb next year, and then we're stuck while he develops. by the time he's worth a damn CJ will be gone and his entire tenure here will be wasted.

things look really bleak.

3. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Nice breakdown TJ. I agree that we are not built to overcome 3rd and long and the defense has put the opposition in 3rd and short too often. Also- the D can't get off the field in 3rd and long.

I would add that our special teams have only had 1 or 2 good years under Fisher and that was heavily influenced by Pac and Carr.

I am afraid that Fisher has already lost this team. There are too many vets in contract years and unwilling to play with wreckless abandon and jeopardize their future earning. (KB, KVB, Scaife to name a few)

Unfortunately, I believe all of this reflects on Fisher as this is ultimately his responsiblity. Bud has been exceptionally conciliatory toward Fisher in regards to personnel decisions. This franchise is at a "Cleveland Brown's" cross-roads right now.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

My only problem with your rant was that it came from you and not any member of the coaching staff or FO.

To me the biggest problem was the 1st play:
    1-10-TEN 20 (15:00) K.Collins pass incomplete deep right to N.Washington.

Translation: We still think we can become the Colts. Lendale is washed up. Johnson is a side-show. Collins is the future of the franchise. Game over from the 1st play, IMO.

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Based on two of the first three games where the first offensive play has been a handoff to CJ (for zero or negative yardage), I didn't really have a problem with the deep shot. A reception there sends a message.

6. titantigerfan

titantigerfan Camp Fodder

What bothers me is that the playcalling has become predictable to me, so I know it has to be predictable to other teams. When he passed on first down and an incompletion occurred, he would then hand off to CJ on second, which would result in little, if any gain ....which would then result in 3rd and long, which of course would result in an incompletion or teeing off on KC. I just wish we had allowed Lendale to get some tough yards on either 1st or second down so we would avoid 3rd and long issues.

7. rock8titans

rock8titans Starter

Fisher could be the most over-rated NFL HC in sometime, thats how I feel.

I've never seen a team give up more big pass plays and letting a team back in the game after dominating most of the game (prevent mode) than a Fisher coached team/game over the last 10 years or at least that's what it's felt like.

8. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

Call me crazy but I think some of our recent draft busts are catching up to us.

Imagine if you will Pacman was still on the team, didn't get in trouble and was the pro bowl player he was looking like. Now all of a sudden Harper isn't a problem because he's not here and our secondary is much better.

Then there's Young and say what you will, fact is he has not lived up to his draft status. If he was the franchise QB he was drafted to be then QB isn't a problem for us now. We don't have Collins and we have a play making QB. But Young hasn't lived up to the potential and that's a problem.

Then there's Chris Henry. I know just a 2nd round pick but it was one of the dumbest picks we've ever made. I was sitting there when that pick was up praying we took Steve Smith from USC. In fact I thought it was GOING to happen. Then I find out we got the 3.1 YPC combine star Chris Henry and I was livid. Now Smith's the Giants #1 receiver and leads the NFL in receptions and reception yards and Chris Henry isn't on the team. Honestly that one STILL burns me. Henry was such an obvious dud and Steve Smith (a USC guy like Fisher) was a really good possession receiver at USC. But what do I know?

Now I think were feeling the effects of this. We tried to patch up our mistakes with Nick Harper and Kerry Collins and it worked for awhile but it's not anymore. Now we need a corner, we need a QB, and combine that with some of the age on defense (KVB, Kearse, etc..) and it's looking like we need to rebuild some.

• High Five High Five x 2
  9. MJTitans

True, but for a QB who is a notoriously slow starter that call threw me for a loop. To me it was an admission that we feel we can't run the ball anymore. It used to be "give us your 8-9 man fronts and we'll still pound it at you". Instead our 1st 3 possessions we seemed resigned to the idea that we have to put it in the air before CJ can get anything going. That said volumes to me.

10. MJTitans

No doubt. We've gotten nice production from late-round picks, but you're right. Hard to recover from 3 wasted 1st day picks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar