Whats the word on Limas Sweed?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by titan_fan_4ever, Feb 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I do. That's why I look more at college production than the 40 time at the combine. If Sweed can't stay on the field in college and put up good numbers, it's gonna be a lot tougher at the next level.
    That's why I say he's a 2nd rounder. 2nd round isn't a bad thing. Just too much of a risk for a 1st rounder imo.

2. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

So what Hardy played in the big 10 the so called slow conference or whatever. Doesn't take away from the fact he put up 79 rec. 1,125 rec. yds and 16 td's. He's a monster at 6'5 220 with speed and the best body control in the draft. He dominated his conference and made Justin King of PSU "my team" who is a day one prospect look like trash.

Vs. King who ran low 4.3 and is 6 ft.

14 catches for 142 yards and 2 tds.

3. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill Camp Fodder

I like King as a prospect but he is just one standout guy in 2k5 Texas had 6 DBs on the same level or better than what King is. Sweed cut his teeth on these guys and learned how to play the position against 2 Thorpe award winners and 4 others that would end up being drafted in the 1st 3 rounds of the next two drafts. This doesn't include some of the great DBs that Oklahoma had and Okie Lite and a few other that I listed.

Again I have no problem taking Hardy, I love everything about him but Sweed's numbers in college are not an inditement about his ability but rather the offense he played in. Hardy was a superstar on a team of midgets. Sweed was a cog in a machine.

4. utdtitans

utdtitans Camp Fodder

But college production is not at all a great determinant either. Look at all the receiver busts in the last few years that had outrageous college numbers. Texas has pretty talented receivers and backs all over the field. If Sweed was double covered, they usually wouldn't throw it to him just because there were so many other playmakers in single coverage. Some big targets get every look because even in double coverage they're a better option than the other guys. It's not like he had terrible numbers for that kind of offense.

5. Torch7

Torch7 Camp Fodder

+1

6. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill Camp Fodder

Here is a list of playmakers that Sweed had to compete with for touches

Vince Young's legs

Jamal Charles RB
    Romonce Taylor RB
    Selvin Young RB
    Cedric Benson RB

David Thomas TE
    Jermichael Finley TE

Quan Cosby WR
    Billy Pittman WR
    Nate Jones WR
    Jordan Shipley

Now I know some of these names mean nothing but everyone of them was/is a very solid college football player and most are solid pro player or pro prospects.

Each guy was vying for touches during the game.

I guarantee that Michigan, Indiana, Michigan State or Cal didn't have depth like this, the only schools that do are Florida, LSU, USC and even Oklahoma.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar