What makes Fisher so Great?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by nickmsmith, Dec 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

It seems like everytime you hear about Jeff Fisher, in the same sentence is, "The most underrated coach." But do you guys think this is really warranted??

Personally he hasn't won anything of value, besides one Super Bowl bid, which we promptly lost. It seems like since Mc.Nair was in his prime, he has gone to crap. And last year wasn't on Fisher, it was Vince. He didn't tell Vince to make those plays. This year Vince seems restrained, in fact, because of the coaching.

I dunno, I'm just wondering your opinion. Maybe no other coach could have won either with the lack of talent the past few years. I just think he is given too much credit for the success over the years. I think if we miss the playoffs the next few years, it is time for a change. Undoubtedly Fish will be great somewhere else, but here, it seems stagnant.

2. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

I've noticed the same, and that Schwartz gets the same treatment or more. I could swear someone is getting paid off to give these guys a public reacharound. I don't understand it.

3. A Fightin'Titan

A Fightin'Titan Starter

He's just a classy dude.

4. SupDawg

SupDawg Guest

Fish has charisma. He is a good coach, although I would not classify him as better than average or great.

He is a good game manager and a good players coach.

5. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I think he's more over rated than under rated. He hasn't done anything other than 'take' an extremely talented team to the superbowl. Once. A team that should have made it about 3 times, but didnt due to his conservative coaching most the time.
    The only reason I like him, is because we could have worse. Not willing to take the gamble. I'd rather stick with the mediocre coach and live off talent than take a chance on getting a bad coach that loses nomatter what type of talent that he has.

6. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

I guess my question is, who out there that is available would you consider a better option than Fisher? Is Fisher "great"...no...our records will tell you that.

I think players may play hard for him...I think he is a player's coach, whatever that term really means at the pro level.

But, he is good, he rarely blows challenges or makes bad decisions because he doesn't fully understand the fine details of the rules.

7. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

I'd have trouble saying he's a HOF coach or anything like that, but he does seem to be able to coach up average players and make them very good. At least on defense... we've had a long string of linebackers and DBs that have overachieved under Fisher - Finnegan being the latest example. And like Laserjock said, he knows the game in and out and rarely makes a bad decision. There's a lot to be said for the attitude he brings - teams often take on the personality of the coach. He's even-keeled, doesn't panic, and he gets players to play tough, physical football.

He's not the best out there... either that or his coordinators have really let him down. But he's really good.

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I can't think of anyone I'd rather have not named Belichick.

9. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I don't know coordinators or college coaches well enough to name someone I would want to replace Fisher. But just because their aren't many flashy names going around, there still are probably young coaches that could do a better job then Fisher.

But, you take a chance there that you end up with a Petrino or a Cam Cameron.

Regardless, we are stuck with Fisher now. So i pray more that he starts to learn how to "adapt" and modify his stubborn gameplan so this team can be more than 3 point winners or losers with the occasional 30-40 point loss.

Personally, I'd rather have Gruden. But he's going to be the coach at UT next season once Fulmer retires after the bowl game; you heard it here first. :geek:

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

MJtitans be serious!

Coaching up guys on defense? Even after we added hope, thornton and smith we finished deadass last in total defense last year. How is being last being coached up?

Bulluck-thornton-haynesworth-hope-KVB-pacman-griffin. are these guys average athletes?

As for finnegan any success he has is the result of great speed, hard work and a fearless attitude. Fisher has nothing to do with his success except putting him on the field.

What about day one draft picks that under acheive like odom-laboy-starks?

Then of course the moron move of camp in trying griffin at corner. Yeah they really coached him up. Messed him up if you ask me..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar