VY Poll for fans and non fans

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Childress79, Mar 11, 2009.

?
  1. Bust and you hope he leaves the Titans without any further distraction

15.6%
  2. Hope yet if he restructures & sit's behind Collins for two years to learn & mature

60.9%
  3. Young has had bad luck and will return to be a great QB for the Titans

20.3%
  4. Young has had bad luck and will return to be a great QB for another team

3.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

Whats the difference between VY and Collins, statistics wise, its Ints, thats it, its not like Collins is doing better in other aspects, Im tired of people thinking Vy sucks, he makes a few more bad reads and takes more risks, if VY threw the kind of "off his back leg int" like Collins did in the BMore game, theyd be calling for his head, fact of the matter is until CJ hit the scene, most of the offense around him flat out sucked. Its not justifiable in any way to say VY is a bust when he had Chris Brown, LenDale White, Justin Gage, and Brandon Jones. Now we have Gage, White, Cj and Washington, Mcariens sucks, and odds are these young recievers with "upside" have little chance of panning out. I think with his ability to move out of the pocket, improvise and run, VY is a much better qb, people are just constantly on his *** because hes the premier player on the offense, do you think Manning is even close to what he is today without Harrison, Wayne, Edge, Addai, and every other great offensive player hes had?. What about LT, an 8 year vet, I dont remember the Chargers gettin on him when he would show up on a garbage offense on a garbage SD team for many years.

It gets aggravating when they bash him just because he "sucked", people watch Collins and act like this dude is running a spread run and gun offense like its unstoppable, he has done nothing we havent seen from Vince, that simple

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Tex in a Can

Tex in a Can Guest

I always give people a second chance. You know watching this year's games, I actually think the Titans are a better team with an accurate pocket passer. Steve and Vince made a lot of good moves with their legs, but I think being spot on to convert third down is much more important. I also think when we are spot on with passes the opposing defense has a lot more to worry about than if we have a great scrambler.

3. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I have been ambivalent about Vince. I was a strong supporter before the draft and throughout his rookie season. But during the second year TC, I began to notice problems with too many INT's. the 10-6 year, the biggest knock was the red zone inefficiency (thank God for Bironas).

When we dumped Chow, I thought things were really going to improve. But then Vince decided to go back to school for the Spring- something that really made me take notice that doing everything possible to be a top level NFL (franchise-type) QB was not his top priority. He again struggled later in TC w/ too many INT's and clearly had a "deer in the headlight" look. Then the emotional/mental breakdown after the Jags game.

I think it IS a valid point that Vince didn't have Chris Johnson or as mature an O-line as Collins did. He had already missed the bus by the time he got a shot in the Indy game because he had wasted his opportunities for learning anything by apparently pouting on the sideline the entire year. I'm certain he doesn't feel like he has much of a shot with Heimerdinger as OC, because Dinger isn't going to coddle him at all. (I'll even bet he called him a dumbazz once or twice)

I also think we are way over-valuing Collins. Yes- he "guided us to a 13-3 season, but what did he do in the play-offs? Not much- it was mostly CJ and O-line.

So I guess I hold out hope that Vince has matured emotionally. You can't create intelligence, I don't think Vince has it, but I'm not certain you need it to get in the red zone if you have the right OC and other weapons. I would like to see him prove everybody wrong again. Apparently he is not going to back to Austin this year, so maybe that IS a valid indicator of his commitment to do what it takes to be the best.

If we see a Vince that is getting the ball out timely and accurately, and freezing safeties w/ a threat of a run, then I do believe we will see a top 10 offense. I'm not ready yet to write Vince off. I do believe that it will be a fair contest this TC.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

If you told me Collins would throw for 281 yards with a 61% completion percentage in a playoff game, I take that. He did his job.

I agree Collins is overvalued. But consistency (though unspectacular) and taking care of the football is all the Titans offense calls for. Young hasn't been able to give the team either.

• High Five High Five x 2
  5. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

I do not think Collins is is anything special but there are few QB's that teams can trust to manage an offence today and even fewer truly great QB's.

Players like Collins & Garcia have turned out to have value in the twilight of their careers because they're known commodoties.

More than half of the teams in the league are still looking for the right player to be their longterm QB. The number one priority is to find a guy who'll manage the game & protect the football.

If you look at all the QB's stats in the league last season it's scary how few of them were 50/50 or worse on the TD to INT ratio.The majority of QB's playing in football today suck.

Collins is about 50/50 for TD/INT over his entire career but last season he was 63/37 on the TD/INT.That's why he got paid.He was 26 0f 42 for no TD's and an INT vs the Ravens who are a very dangerous team to pass on.

There is no way we lost that game because of Collins.

He had his off moments during the season when he turned the ball over after making poor decisions.The difference between him & Young after making a bad decision is that Collins takes responsibility for his errors and quickly puts it behind him.

That's big as far as his team mates are concerned.

Young may not be that bad if he has to replace Collins but our team currently has a window of opportunity for success which means that we cant afford carry or gamble on a key player at this time.

It's not about who's better for the long term it's about who'd better for right now.Young can't be trusted to protect the football.

We relied heavily on CJ last year but during the 6 game stretch that McCareins was out we became a more balanced offence that couldn't be stopped by taking away our running game.

With McCareins gone I expect that to continue and see us become less predictable.

If McCarein's is brought back I think I'll need to book into a padded cell.

6. Riverman

Costly INT, a 72 passer rating AND we lost the game. He had a last shot to get the team back within field goal range with his arm and he was 0/4 with off target passes on that game closing drive. Now I am not saying he is a bad QB, just nothing spectacular.

Young is where he is because of who has been and what he has and hasn't done. But it IS a valid point that he wasn't able to produce his rookie and second year with an experienced/"gel-ed" O-line like we have now and a burner like CJ.

Do I honestly think he can make something unique happen this year? I am seeing a very positive sign that he is staying in Nashville this Spring rather than pursuing his degree in Greco-Roman Vodka-chugging. I believe there is a genuine opportunity to for him to improve if he is truly committed. I can only speculate on that.

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Agreed. But this WAS a top NFL defense. Look at just about every other QB in the league versus the Ravens and you'll see some of their worst games of the season.

Collins is not the reason the Titans lost that game. He played more than well enough to win.

:lol: on the Greco-Roman Vodka-chugging.

I'm so hoping we're burning up this forum with talk of how good Young looks in camp but I'm not very hopeful. As a matter of fact, count me as someone who won't be shocked if a QB is drafted by the Titans in April.

8. Riverman

Yeah- I agree w/ draft QB this year, maybe take a flier in the 4th or 5th. I think there is about a 30% chance that we see a committed, mature and productive Vince this year at TC, a 50% chance we see "same ole, same ole" and a 20% chance that he looks worse than last year's TC.

9. psychotictitan

psychotictitan Its About That Time...

The thing is with VY is we're really not going to know how much hes progressed untill we actually see him in action. I'm sure hes going to have an excellent training camp and your going to hear Fisher,Dinger,players and even VY himself praising about the progress hes made in TC much like they did last year but that still wont matter to me. We all need to see it,i personally dont put to much stock into preseason games because of the basic game planning. In all reality unless Collins gets hurt we really wont know hows hes actually gotten better or worse and will have to just rely on a few pre-season games and the coaching staffs opinions to form our own conclusions.

10. Riverman

I think we'll be able to tell a lot in TC. He was throwing 1-2 picks per session and 3-5 per day the past 2 years and getting in fights with other players.

I believe he will at least recognize, there is no better way to restore himself with his peers than performance and that performance directly reflects preparation. I'm sure he recognizes that there is no more room for cheap chest thumping and trash talking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar