Vols = the new vandy

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by World Peace, Jun 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XO

XO Nevada Native

A playoff system doesn't need to be based on any polls.

Reorganize all conferences in to two divisions. Each conference would then have a conference championship game. The conference championship games would be the first round of the playoffs.

Then have the conference champions put into a playoff.

It is not hard to do. Many people come up with excellent ideas that are always shot down by money hungry conferences and Athletic Directors.

Throw out the polls.

To say the the Boise States of the world don't deserve a chance is ignorant. They have shown they can play with anyone else in the country. Not to mention many big programs will not go out and schedule games against them. They are afraid of being embarrassed.

To say they should just sign up for a conference is silly also.
    When are the SEC and Big 10 taking applications?

2. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

When a BS plays an Oklahoma, for instance, it is BSs superbowl/championship/homecomming/alumni game all wrapped into one game.

When an Oklahoma plays a BS it is a chance to make some $$$$s and grab a W, nothing more.

3. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

I leave for one day and this thread gets THIS many responses? Seems like i struck a nerve. Maybe if I get some downtime, I'll go back and re-read the last 10 pages I missed but I'm pretty sure its just going to be these UTjr homers talking about something that happened back in the stone age.

And to whoever said UTjr is a top 10 program.... BAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAA get over yourselves.. That's like saying U of Kentucky is a top 10 program because they won a football national championship back in the day. What have you done for me lately?

College football is all about geographics and with that said... Who wants to go play football in the smokey mountains?

I can't blame UTjr kids for aspiring to be felons... What else are they gonna do in their free time? Go knife and sword shopping??

I get it... Knoxville and the smokeys are considered paradise by 65 year old lynard skynard meth heads but for those of us who aren't trailer park trash... It's not even on the radar for a place we'd want to go spend our free time. I couldn't ever imagine wanting to live there.

So if you are an 18 year old kid... Would you want to go see hot babes in SoCal and play for Lane and Monte Kiffin? or go pick up chicks at the pontoon ride at the rundown Dollywood theme park and play for a coach who will be fired in 1-2 years?

I guess when you are that bored and you've run every decent coach out of town(because UTjr is the McJob of all coaching jobs)... the only fun thing to do is to make your university proud by putting on the bright orange jumpsuit after you've been booked and processed for knocking off a convenience store outside of campus.

4. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I would be fine with that system (I'm a huge fan of the conference championship game being the first round of the playoffs) BUT...

there are 11 conferences. So you are going to end up with 11 playoff teams after the conference championship games. How will you seed them?

I tried to explain this to you. If you don't play in a major conference you don't have the same rights.

Now who is ignorant? lol.

The Big 10 just expanded. The SEC made a play at Texas A&M. You fail.

5. Alex1939

If were in charge of UTs schedule, based on the current system, I would always schedule cupcakes. The SEC schedule will make up for it come BCS time.

If I believed like Tennessy XO that standings/records matter more than national championships, then I'd leave the SEC and join the SunBelt and say "look at our record, look at our record!!!"

6. I'm not wasting my time reading all that jargon. You lost this battle with the Eric Berry nonsense.

You're trying wayyyy too hard, chief.

7. Alex1939

tldr

8. Typed all that about lowly ol UT? Hahahahaha, poor kid's obsessed with us for some reason.

9. XO

XO Nevada Native

There are ways to get it done.
    The conferences are merging together slowly. Soon we will end up with four to six super-conferences. There are way around the little problems if the NCAA is serious about a playoff. Sadly they are not because of the money. If fans stopped supporting this joke of a system we might see some change but everyone knows that is not going to happen. Especially when some fans take the "well it could be worse mentality".
    The SEC is the last conference that would want to see this system change. The last decade has been a party for them. I see nobody from the SEC supporting a playoff. Why play a couple more out of conference games that they tend to get smacked in when you just get voted into the title game?

That is like racism in college football lol. Why are you trying to hold the little guy down? Notre Dame is not in a conference yet they still get love. Just because they play a crippled USC and a rebuilding Michigan every year. I say give them chance. Let them decide on the field.

TCU is in the Big East now.
    Utah is Pac 10
    Boise Joined the growing mountain west. I'd put the Mountain West on at least the same level as the Big East at this point.

These teams will be fine now but there will be others that rise up.

10. Alex1939

We are pretty much along the same line of thinking. I just see hypocrisy with those that want a 8 or 16 team ranking based on polls and the current college football landscape and scheduling. I don't see how that makes any "true" champion compared to the BCS.

But I would love to see 8 super conferences, with fair scheduling system (similar to NFL), then playoffs.

Were you not alive before 1998? It was worse. Or would you like to argue that college was better pre-BCS?

A title game they ALWAYS win. Not sure what this "out of conference games they get smacked in" bs is all about?

Because playing the Sun Belt schedule is not the same as a Big10,Pac10,SEC,ACC schedule, duh.

It's not hard to understand. The minor conferences are minor for a reason. Their level of competition is not the same.

Exactly. Those teams learned the lesson. Now let's see how long before Utah or TCU wins the BCS championship after playing in a real conference.

As far as the Big East yeah I agree its kind of a joke now. And the Mountain West is generally the better of the minor conferences. But its still not even close to the level of the major conferences.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar