Um, why can/do we never trade down?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by HeadOnASwivel, Apr 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

You don't. Get back to reality.

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

In 2004 we traded our 24th pick for Houston's 40th & 71st, as a result we got Ben Troupe. I'd say we're good NOT trading back for these kinds of players.

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

First of all we don't know if the Titans had any chance of trading down in the draft. They might have wanted to move down a few spots in the 1st and still get Locker but maybe Houston didn't want to deal. In that scenario, if you like Locker or not, they were right in getting the guy they wanted, especially at QB.

Now we can argue about the Locker pick, the Ayers pick or any pick but I don't see where the Titans trading down really help themselves in hindsight. If they get trade happy they have a good chance of missing out on those guys they really wanted. Obviously if you don't like the picks it doesn't matter. The Casey pick was a great value pick. I'm certainly glad they didn't drop down and miss him since the DTs after him were not nearly as good. Last year they actually traded players to move up and get Verner and Smith. I guess they weren't running to the podium with a boner on those picks and I'm sure glad they got Verner.

It comes down to a few people, who shall remain nameless, who have a 10 year old mentality and wouldn't be happy with anything that wasn't exactly like they wanted. I'd prefer to see what this draft class can do. I wasn't a big fan of the Locker pick but now I'll be his biggest fan and that goes for all these picks. I hope they all make the HOF and we win multiple championships. What we do know is the FO filled needs and got guys to fit their scheme. The VY era is over and we have a new QB. Thank GOD for that.

4. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

HAHAHA... Oh yes. I do. WAY better than our FO.

Let's see... :) (You asked for it)

Kenny Britt Rutgers - Loved the pick. Said he'd be great.
    Sen'Derrick Marks - Didn't understand the pick. Said he wouldn't do anything.
    Jared Cook - Loved the pick. Was right about him- and we finally saw it this year. Actually a guy I hyped all draft season.
    Ryan Mouton - Said he'd suck and was a wasted of a pick. He does and was.
    Gerald McRath - Loved the pick. Said he'd contribute. He has.
    Troy Kropog - Hated the prospect... haven't heard his name sense.
    Javon Ringer - Said he was a steal at this point. He was, but hasn't done that much.
    Jason McCourty - Loved the value of the pick. Seems like I was on track.
    Dominique Edison - Liked the pick, just so far down to where it's hard for these guys to do much.

Chris Johnson - Called it a reach, but said he could be great. Right on both.
    Jason Jones - Same story. Said it was a reach but loved his potential.
    Craig Stevens - Didn't like the pick then and still don't.
    William Hayes - Can't remember what I thought here.
    Lavelle Hawkins - Thought he was mediocre. Was right.

Michael Griffin - Hated the pick. Was wrong about him.
    Chris Henry - Thought it was the dumbest pick in team history. Was right.
    Paul Williams - Thought it was a reach and wasted pick. Was right.
    Leroy Harris - Never pay attention to OL.
    Chris Davis - Said he was mediocre while people argued. I was right.
    Antonio Johnson - Who?
    Joel Filani - Didn't like the prospect.
    Jacob Ford - Loved the pick. Said it was a steal- and was right. (when healthy)

Vince Young - Hated the pick. I said he'd suck. I was right, even if he wasn't so bad. lol
    LenDale White - Thought it was a steal. Pretty close.
    Calvin Lowry - Can't recall.
    Stephen Tulloch - Liked the pick. Thought it was good value.
    Terna Nande - Loved the pick- was dead wrong after hyping him.
    Jesse Mahelona - Liked the pick. Too bad injuries killed his chances.
    Jonathan Orr - can't recall.
    Cortland Finnegan - Can't recall.

So what... in 4 recent drafts, I was wrong on about 4 players we've drafted?

Yeah... I'd say I could do a better job than this FO- easily.

And keep in mind who said Derrick Morgan would bust, Damian Williams would be good, Verner would be good, Robert Johnson would be good, etc.

Keep in mind the one guy that hyped Blount more than anyone here also.

yeah. This guy.

Don't mess with me when it comes to this. You're not winning. lol

Maybe this FO just needs me to tell them who NOT to draft and we'd be in much better shape.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

We didn't get quality with those picks. We got mediocrity.

And because we didn't want to hurt poor Jake Locker's little feelings we passed on Stanzi who was incredible value late in the 4th to draft a mediocre RB.

Ayers? We could have gotten Foster a rd later and drafted a comparable guy in rd 4.

I'm not going to dump all over this draft and i'm praying i'm wrong but in our first 2 picks we took at best the 10-15th best player on the board.

6. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I'm happy with the way our draft turned out. I personally do not think we could of traded down, I'm sure we were on the phones with teams, and couldn't get deals worked out. Obviously we wanted Locker, if we would of traded down, we wouldn't of gotten the guy we wanted. Akeem Ayers probably wouldn't of lasted much longer on the boards either, but there was solid LB talent rd3 and rd4. We could of traded down for Casey, Harper, and the rest of our picks probably. But I'm cool with what we got.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Quality over quantity or both?

If we could have traded back with our 2nd rd pick we could have used the extra picks to get Mason Foster and Dontay Moch.

Foster+Moch trumps Ayers. Moch has more speed and explosiveness around the edge than Ayers so if our goal was to get a pass rusher from the linebacker position that is a no brainer. If the goal was to get the best all around 4-3 OLB it is between Foster and Carter but Foster didn't have the injury history.

8. xpmar9x

I think we should of gotten Paea Rd2 and Foster Rd3.. I also would of loved trading into the late 2nd, early 3 to land Martez Wilson. Love that guy.

9. xpmar9x

I'm happy with the way our draft turned out. I personally do not think we could of traded down, I'm sure we were on the phones with teams, and couldn't get deals worked out. Obviously we wanted Locker, if we would of traded down, we wouldn't of gotten the guy we wanted. Akeem Ayers probably wouldn't of lasted much longer on the boards either. We could of traded down for Casey, Harper, and the rest of our picks probably. But I'm cool with what we got.

10. THE_TITAN

THE_TITAN Starter

Dude! What would be the point of us drafting two guys with one dimensional talents. Foster with strength and Moch with speed. Ayers has both and is one player not two. Granted Ayers needs to work on a lot of his game, but we have Frank Bush and Dave McGinnis who both have a great combined knowledge of the position and what he will need to improve. Ayers has more natural ability and a greater physical ability than Moch or Foster and thats why I think that was a good pick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar