Travis Henry likely to be cut on Saturday

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Starkiller, Mar 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

Would you say the same about his 4.5yd avg?

2. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Yes. 4.5 is about avg. Ladell Betts had 4.7 with only 25 less carries. This years +1000 yard runners had an avg. of 4.6 avg./car according to my quick calculations.

3. No they can't. They will have just given him a $8.3M guaranteed bonus.

That wouldn't change the fact that he'd get suspended and we'd still lose cap room on the bonus even if Bud gets it back.

He wasn't convicted of that, he pleaded to a lesser charge.

They can't just cut him. They will have paid him a huge guaranteed bonus.

Yes, though I'd say he earned the job based on his college career (thus the high draft status).

Fred Taylor is going to get $5M this year, that compared to Henry potentially getting $9M, plus the questions about Drew being too small to be a feature back. Jamal Lewis was a great RB and Musa Smith was never expectede to be a feature back. Priest Holmes was the top RB in the league, and the reason they drafted Johnson was Holmes' threat to retire.

None of those situations are the same as Henry and White here.

Welcome to the salary cap era. You don't spend big bucks on replaceable players, especially when their replacements are already on hand...

4. ZELL22

ZELL22 Starter

:beerbang: Hre, Here....I couldn't have said it better myself.

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

now we just have to make the panickers understand.

6. BigRed3

BigRed3 Straight Cash, Homey

Good luck with that...

7. Perhaps you have misunderstood the word "panic"... :shocked:

8. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Well huh, my quick calculations for that come up to 4.2 ypc. I through out Vick's #'s btw.

9. Bobo

Bobo Guest

So why can't they cut him after 07 or 08?

They'd lose the cap room for that year, but not for the remaining years, right?

Right, so it wasn't statutory rape like you said. You going to hold that over his head?

Am I missing something? Doesn't this happen all the time? Players get cut and the team absorbs a cap hit. He wouldn't get cut this year, so that guaranteed bonus only goes on this year's cap, right?

I disagree. A high draft pick doesn't earn you a starting spot, especially not in his position. We gave almost the same pick for henry, and he has a proven NFL record. He's earned the job much more than White then, right?

But the total of Fred's deal is a lot bigger.

He's not too small. He's few inches short, but he's got the weight and bulk. Hey, our guy is a lot bigger, right? Who was healthier this year?

I never heard Holmes threatened to retire before they drafted LJ.

The Jax situation is similar, so is Cinci. Those were just a few teams I thought of, I'm sure there are more. It's no lie that many times teams have held on to proven vets for awhile even after drafting players in the same position high.

Big bucks that will only effect this year, right? A year where we probably won't have a need to spend a lot. Things could change, but that's the way it's looking. We don't have many core guys that need big contracts to stay around, and FA is weak.

Sure the replacement is there, the risk remains if he is not as good as the starter.

10. Simply put, you don't give a guy $8.3M guaranteed if you expect you might cut him a year later. That would be moronic. Either he's worth it or he isn't. And to the Titans, he isn't because they have LenDale White waiting to take over the job.

If they don't feel Henry is worth the investment, then they can use the $8.3M on other players. They can put it to good use on Roos or Bell, for example. Or on some more valuable free agent. The money isn't going to waste just because it isn't going to Henry.

As for White earning the job, he has earned it as much as other "unproven" early draft picks do. By rule, they get the job handed to them eventually, and that's what has happened here. You rarely draft a guy in the first 2 rounds and then never give him the starting job. They planned this as soon as they drafted LenDale...

Fred Taylor's deal is basically a series of 1 year contracts where they can either cut him or keep him and pay him $5M (or more) that year. Henry's remaining contract wasn't set up that way. If Jax is confident that Drew can be the feature back a year from now or that Taylor is done, they will cut Taylor and not pay him past the $5M he'll make this season.

Holmes wanted more money and threatened both to hold out and to retire. Then they drafted Johnson that same offseason.

I missed where you mentioned Rudi Johnson, but again it's a different scenario. While they did have Perry as a backup, he played just 2 games as a rookie when Johnson ran for 1450 yards and became a RFA. Additionally, Rudi was 3 years younger then than Henry is now, plus he has never been suspended for drugs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar