Trading for a 2nd round pick

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by TorontoTitanFan, Mar 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Ridiculous comments about 2nd rounders if you are looking at recent history. yes there is Roos and White but what about Jason Jones. The guy is a beast and his measurables compare to the best DTs and DEs in this draft. Can't blame MR for not predicting his durability but when the kid plays he is solid. How about this years 2nd rounder we have been talking about, Cook. I still say he is a solid pick. What about Marks? People bash that pick but they have no idea if that was a good or bad pick yet. My guess is he plays a significantly larger part in the DT rotation this year and proves to also be a solid pick.

Our second round picks are as follows:
    2004 - Troupe, LaBoy and Odom
    2005 - Roos
    2006 - White
    2007 - Henry
    2008 - Jones
    2009 - Marks
    2010 - Cook

Sure the Henry pick was about as bad as it gets. Other than that I have a hard time arguing with most those picks. Even the Troupe pick at the time looked like a rational pick. Marks and Cook are still works in process. Overall I'd say the Titans have drafted the 2nd round since 2004 as well or better than other NFL teams. Even before 2004 we took Calico, Tank Williams and Andre Dyson. Williams started form day one, Dyson ended up being a decent #2 CB and Calico had injuries cut him short.

2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...

We can't get a 2nd rnd pick by trading our 3rd and 4th rnd picks. Not enough value. Even on the value chart that's not even close. And it'll probably be harder since there is a lot more talent in the first 40 picks than normal.

Gut

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

The last pick in the 2nd round is worth just a few points more than our 3rd and 4th rounders so I agree it will be hard to get a 2nd rounder but like you said other teams want to tap into the 2nd round talent pool and will be less likely to want to trade a 2nd away. What we might be able to do is trade into the 3rd round with a player and or picks and then move up into the top of the 3rd if there is a player they really like.

4. customtitan

customtitan Special Teams Standout

Ridiculous comments???? really?
    2007 - Henry.....projected a 4th rounder or later
    2008 - Jones.....projected a 3rd rounder
    2009 - Marks.....projected a 4th rounder
    2010 - Cook......projected a 3 or 4th rounder
    in the last 4 years its pretty easy to see the front office has reached in the 2nd round. some may pan out, but who knows? furthermore why not try and get a STARTER in the 2nd round.... why all projects? its very clear that each of the last FOUR years 2nd round picks have been projects. lets save the projects for the later rounds....what a crazy idea

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

According to titan jeff's trusty draft trade chart a mid 3rd and 4th rd pick is worth a late 2nd rd pick. I'm sure you might have to add a 5th or 6th rd pick to make the deal and it would be a very late pick but for a team looking for more picks it might be possible.

6. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

The old draft trade chart is obsolete. Teams don't use it anymore.

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I think you can only use that chart as a starting point. If a particular draft is strong, then it may cost a team more to go up. If a team is trading with next year's picks, then they always have to give up more.

8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

This is one of the strongest front end drafts in recent memory. I have over 32 players rated as 1st rnd picks which is unlike most drafts where there's 15-20 1st rndrs and about 25-30 2nd rndrs. The last pick in rnd 2 will be worth a 2nd rnd pick if you know what I mean.

While the trade chart says you can get that pick, I doubt you'll be able to in this draft unless you get a team with very few picks who feel it better to move down 15 spots for an additional 4th rndr if they have the players at that point all rated the same. It will be interesting to see who moves where and for what value. I think the Titans will need to be fortunate in player availability to make this kind of deal (someone wants to trade up to get the last DE/DT/OLB/CB or QB for instance). A team like the Jets that doesn't have too many picks or a team like the Browns that are trying to stockpile as many picks as possible. And if we wanted to give up next year's first rnd for a 2nd this year, a team like the Pats will always oblige.

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar