Trading for a 2nd round pick

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by TorontoTitanFan, Mar 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

The 2nd round is a good place to get some great value sure, but where are our 2nd rounders these days? The Titans don't scout well at all. I know many people who have said similar to that. It's not my fault, so you few guys up a few posts should see that. If we can get back into the 2nd round then terrific, but it's not a move I'd hurry to make. None of our 2nd selections have paned out to be All-Stars, not even imperative parts to our foundation. Look at our key players: C.J.-1st, V.Y.-1st, Britt-1st, Gage F/A, Wash-F/A. I mean our entire O-line is made of guys we found on the street or 4th and later round guys. We got the great Donnie Nickey way after round 2, and he's been the bones to our success LOL. Here's what we should do come draft time; trade some 3rd rounders for 4th's and later. Most of our team was drafted in the 4th or later. Who needs the 2nd round in TN.

And besides, this teams management doesn't show veterans all that much love. If we had kept Ben Troupe, Travis LaBoy, or Antwan Odom I think most of them could have been solid. But knowing something about those certain people running our favorite team, I know they feel they know it all and since they weren't able to make the most of their 2nd rounders they feel they're dispensable. As for Sen'Derrick Marks, he still has time to make the most of playing for a really good team.

2. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Has Odom even played more than half a season either year after he left?

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Looking at trade value charts it is possible to trade our #16 pick for a late 1st and a late 2nd. For example our 1st is worth ~1000 points. The 25th 1st and 2nd rounders add up to 1050 points. The problem is having a player available at #16 that a team later in the first really wants bad.

One scenario might be if Clausen drops. The Cards or Vikings might be willing to bite if they really like Clausen as their franchise QB. The Cards pick 25 and the Vikes pick 30th. I'm not sure any other scenario makes sense but a team really needing a QB would be smart to consider the move.

As for trading our 3rd and 4th picks for a 2nd it is not going to happen. Those picks are only worth around 260 points. The best that point total could get us is an early 3rd rounder (1st pick of the 3rd round is worth 260 points) but I would consider it if there is a player they really like who has fallen that far. Of course we could always throw in LW and he would add maybe 20 extra points to the value...ha ha.

4. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I liked Chris Henry... on Madden 08.

5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...

Why would this be a terrible or even bad idea. In general I find this to be a bad idea but this draft is LOADED at DE and DT and a first rnd CB (my opinion could fall into rnd 2). And BECAUSE this draft is so loaded with DE/DT/OT, I actually have more guys with a first rnd grade than 32. Normally that # is around 15-20 or so. So giving up our 1st in 2011 for a player who is a 1st rnd talent and getting him a year early at a cheaper contract is a smart move IF it's for the right player.

Secondly, a team giving up next years first for this years 2nd isn't trading up, they are trading for. trading up means you're giving lower picks to move UP. I think it's unrealistic to think our 3rd and 4th will get us even the LAST pick in rnd 2. The best scenario would be to trade White and or Scaife. Since they both have 2nd rnd tenders, a team would have to give us a 2nd rnd pick back if we didn't match their contract offer. Since I don't think either player is worth a 2nd, a more likely scenario is we trade one of them for a 3rd rnd pick. Best if we traded both of them for a pair of 3rd rnd picks giving us 3 tradeable 3rds and a comp in rnd 3. The 2 highest 3rds should be enough to nab us a 2nd rnd pick but where depends on the quality of the 3rds. We might need to add a 4th to get it into the top half of rnd 2 or top 10 picks of the rnd.

Realistically, IF we traded White and Scaife for 3rd rnd picks, we could trade 2 3rds for a 2nd rnd pick and next years first rnd pick for another 2nd this year. Only way that happens is IF we move Scaife or White for a 3rd or better and/or there is a player worth going to get for the cost (either 2 3rds or 2 3rds and a 4th or next years 1st).

Perhaps MOST importantly, the EASIEST way to nab a 2nd rnd pick would be to trade down towards the bottom of rnd one and get a 2nd back. At worst, we could move back and add a 5th to get the 2nd.

Of course, if you wanted to go for broke, we could move back in rnd 1, trade next years first for a 2nd and move Scaife/White and trade up into the 2nd with a couple of 3rds, we could potentially nab 3 2nd rnd picks and really bolster the defense to get back into Super Bowl contention.

If the Titans aren't planning on nabbing a 2nd rnd pick, they almost have to select a DE in rnd 1. I believe the Titans think Mouton should geta shot at starting next year and if not, we can always sign a vet to help out (Sheppard or Bly) for instance. Plus, a greatly improved pass rush will take a lot of pressure off our secondary.

Gut

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

This is very true Gut. We have got to get after to QB.

7. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

First of all what team picking in the top half of the 2nd round is going to be excited about that trade? The draft is "loaded" for them as well (what teams don't need DE, DT or OL) and they could just use the pick for their guy and they would have to be gambling the Titans lay an egg next year or they just traded away for only a 15 or 20 spot move. What is a value deal money wise for us screws them.

Secondly, is there really a player worth giving away our 1st round pick next year to trade into the second for? It is one thing to trade a 3rd for a 2nd after you went 13-3 (anticipating you are trading a potential late 2nd) but to give away a 1st that could be used for an impact player for a mid 2nd or later simply makes little sense.

Thirdly, a better option IMO would be to look at trading up into the early part of the 3rd round should a player drop we really like. That might take giving up a 3rd and 4th rounder but if we could get someone who dropped out of the 2nd for some reason (maybe because the draft was "loaded") that we know won't be around when we pick in the 3rd it makes sense. Also, giving up a 4th rounder with our 3rd to move up to the early 3rd round makes sense because we will probably have a comp 3rd rounder to essentially end up being our 4th rounder (about the same as an early 4th rounder). The year we took Paul Williams we really wanted a WR and there was a boat load of WRs that dropped to the 3rd round that had good value. Instead of moving up and being able to take our pick of about 6 WRs we waited and ended up with a dud. I could see a LB, CB or other position player we are really high on and need that is sitting there for the taking early in the 3rd and making a move to get him. Heck we have potentially 4 7th rounders if the comp projections are right and those picks can't be traded. We don't need more camp bodies. We do need quality. Trade 4th, 5th or 6th round picks as necessary to move up some spots and get guys high on our board before they are gone. Picking in the middle of the rounds is a good spot to use some picks and move up in a round.

8. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

If we do get a 2nd somehow that would be great, if we don't then we just have to make our 1st pick really count.

9. galaril

galaril Camp Fodder

The worst thing about trading away our 2nd round pick to get Cook was the fact the team we traded it too was the Patriots. Their fans have been laughing their asses off that they suckered us and the simple fact is unfortunately they did.

10. Carp

Carp Starter

Lendale was a 2nd round pick. He was pretty good.

Using a small sample size to "prove" that the Titans FO makes terrible decisions in the 2nd round is silly. Assuming that any player we hypothetically select in the 2nd round will automatically bust is insanely dumb as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar