Top 5 Targets

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by AH3, Jan 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Jason Pierre-Paul is #1 on my list right now. (#1 on my list of realistic expectations, as obviously I'd take some guys ahead of him but they will all be long gone by the time the Titans pick)

Pierre-Paul may be a bit raw still and he may be a bit of a project, but he's not the bad kind of project player (the one who still needs to get bigger and faster). From what I've seen, he won't bust. The skills are clearly there. He just needs to learn a bit of technique. Cut the guy some slack, he has a total of 1 year experience in a top-level college program.

Pierre-Paul will be good or he could possibly be very great. Like I said, I doubt he busts. With Washburn coaching him up, I like his chances of developing into a beast. It won't take 3 years and he would be able to contribute in the DL rotation right away, so it would be insane to take a lesser player who is more polished over a guy who's not fully developed but way more skilled.

I'll also add that I'm not that sold on McClain. He's a good prospect for sure, but he seems to lack speed and first step burst, he tackles too high and I'm just not sure that a dependable but unspectacular linebacker will improve the Titans defense as much as a premiere pass rusher.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tP0rhntrT7I&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tP0rhntrT7I&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

2. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

1. Rolando McClain LB Alabama
    2. Derrick Morgan DE Georgia Tech
    3. Jerry Hughes DE/OLB TCU
    4. Joe Haden CB Florida
    5. Brian Price DT UCLA

Still undecided on a few but as of now this will do. A lot of change to come following the Senior Bowl, Combine, Pro Days, ect.....

3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...

Who else is on your list?

What kind of guy is a 'bad' project versus good? He doesn't have much technique and is mostly all athlete so he's a big risk. If he never gets the technique down smoothly, his freakish size won't translate into him being a dominant pass rusher. So he's a significant risk...a boom or bust player. I somewhat suspect he'll drop a bit after the combine because he doesn't look that fast. Course, the opposite could happen too. But he's a risk no matter how you slice it.

Or he could bust...

Hayes is a very similar player. Highly athletic with NFL size and speed. Why take another guy just like him? Secondly, who are the 'lesser' players being suggested? I assure Hughes is a vastly superior player right now and most likely will be in the NFL despite being NFL small. Despite his height (unless he keeps getting shorter at the combine), he has a better chance IMO to be a dominant pass rusher at the next level.

McClain's questions will be answered at the combine because if he's lacking speed and agility and lateral movement, it will hurt him. However, he's arguably the best LB in the draft and while most think he's a bit slow, keep in mind he's 260lbs...which is BIGGER than a lot of the pass rushing DE's in the draft. He's an excellent run defender and is great at taking on blocks and shedding...and he hits with authority! He's also a great leader!!! I agree he tackles too high in general but that should be cleaned up in the NFL. If he can be a 3 down player (good in coverage), he'll go in the first.

While he doesn't exactly fit the Titans needs...I agree that our most pressing need is a premier pass rusher....McClain can be a difference maker which is why I think they would consider him.

Gut

4. MOB-TARCIZ21

MOB-TARCIZ21 Camp Fodder

1. Morgan DE
    2. Dunlap DE
    3. Weatherspoon OLB
    4. Terrence Cody NT
    5. Damian Williams

5. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

So you mean to tell me you wouldn't put McClain in there over Dunlap, Weatherspoon, Cody or Williams? Care to explain why you chose these players?

6. MOB-TARCIZ21

MOB-TARCIZ21 Camp Fodder

McClain would be nice but he wont fall to us IMO. Also if we draft a LB i would take Weatherspoon he a beast has a great motor and can play on 3rd down. IMO Dunlap is wroth the risk. Williams has a ton of skill and production, i think another WR would make Vinces job simple. Id throw Brandon Gram into th list now cus ive been watching him at the senior bowl practices and his ablity to play the run and get to the QB is sick. Cody showed up at 370lb at the first senior bowl practice.

7. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

While I like Weatherspoon he is outclassed by McClain who is an athletic freak and leader of the top defense in the country. McClain has no problems being a 3 down LB. True he probably won't be there but stranger things have happened. Dunlap is huge and athletic but not necessarily explosive off the edge. He is a huge risk and runs hot and cold which is a big red flag for me. Willaims is solid but WR round 1 two years in a row highly unlikely if it took us this long to finally do it last year with Britt. Mount Cody shows up out of shape 3 weeks after the season when he should be in killer shape (red flag) and he's a 2 down DT better suited for a 3-4. His build is incredibly sloppy.

Love BG the guy is a beast off the edge and I love his motor and tenacity.

8. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I know we need corner help, and badly too. But young corners are susceptible to all kinds of tricks. And with 11 games against very good QB's next season I'm now maybe thinking CB could be the wrong move to draft first. The only top level QB we won't see will be Brady, and thank God, because he lite us up the last time we saw him. Roethlisberger will dismantle us again with that pump fake, so I'm seeing a rookie CB maybe as big of a liability as Harper was. If McClain is there when we pick, TAKE HIM!

The only way we fudge up this draft would be to go offense with the first pick. And it appears as though Fisher may say the same.

9. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

While true many are quite productive. The Dolphins started two rookie cornerbacks and ended up 24 overall in pass defense. while thats not very good we were 31 overall with veterans. Vontae Davis was productive as a rookie, Jairus Byrd was very productive he moved to S for the Bills but played CB in college. Malcolm Jenkins didn't have a huge year and got beat a few times but was pretty solid. That is just for rookie CB's this season many before have been productive as well but of course there is two sides to every story and for every successful rookie CB there are 3-4 unsuccessful so take it for what its worth.

10. GTFO my pancakz

GTFO my pancakz S.D.M.F.

1. Daniel Graham - DE
    2. Sean Weatherspoon - OLB
    3. Taylor Mays - S/OLB
    4. Javier Arenas - CB
    5. Lagarrette Blount - RB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar