Tony Gonzalez to Falcons

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by CRUDS, Apr 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

You seem to be missing the finer but VERY important points. TGon said he's playing 1...MAYBE 2 years. You wanna give up a 2nd rnd pick for a guy that might play one year?

Say you make the trade and then cut Scaife. What do you think happens when Kerry Collins goes down for the year and VY has to relearn how to play. We miss the playoffs and TGon retires...now we have only Stevens as a signed free agent and lost a 2nd and more for a probably one year improvement?

The FACT that TE is a strength on our team means giving up a ton for a bit better player who quite possibly is gone after the saeson is not getting good value. IF you could trade Scaife for a 3rd rnd pick...it would be one thing. If you can't, it puts the team in a tenuous position. He's not worth the upgrade

Gut

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

Would I give up a 2nd for a HOF TE who might play for 1 championship year? In a heart beat.

If Kerry goes down for the year, Vince will have a McNabb-McNair type year. And then all the hate will return back to god-like admiration.

Plus we can use compensatory picks this year on a TE in addition to using that 2nd on Tony. I know it seems like putting a lot into the position, but Coach Fisher and Dinger have always used our TEs a lot. Strong running game and good TEs, in Tony's case he would give us that great TE.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Fisher has more imput than before and would be instrumental in encourging a deal for a certain player but the ultimate decision of what to do with money and draft picks belongs to MR.

4. GMITTS

GMITTS WHY VY SHOULD BE OUR #3

tony is a great TE. that goes with out saying. but i wouldnt give up two draft picks for him. he is old and only getting older. we have found out that one player does not equal a championship. ie. TO, LT. i feel that BO would be the best fit for our style of O for the future. that is what we need to keep building towards. the future. we cant keep adding old players to our roster that could retire in a year or two. that will leave us like the cheifs or the ravens. with old vet. players. we need to keep it kinda young.

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Money? Yeah. Personnel? I bet not.

You certainly won't find any reference online which states how much influence Fisher has but when Bud made the choice between he and Reese, and then re-signed Fisher, I think a big part of that was how much he would weigh in on personnel decisions.

More than MR? I think he has as much on draft day. No proof, of course.

6. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. GMITTS

GMITTS WHY VY SHOULD BE OUR #3

that video is awsome.

the cheifs dont want to trade him. they want to keep him for castle.

8. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Again, I agree with Gut.

Why trade picks for another TE when WR, OG, DE, DT, CB are all more pressing needs?

I guess I'm one of the bigger Scaife supporters from most posts I've read on this forum. I don't know why we'd give up someone who seems to get better each season, and has good experience with Collins and Young. I realize Scaife will likely never break into the Elite 5 TEs in the league, but he's nearly top 10 now. With better WRs on our team, I think Scaife's numbers would improve.

9. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

A 2nd and 4th is tempting, but the uncertainty of unloading Scaife would make me hesitate. Titans brought in Shawn Nelson and the thinking would be select him in the second round. For that matter, they're crazy enough to think the same thing with Jared Cook and Connor Barwin, IMO. Only the big time lack of production (only James Casey has those crazy numbers) makes them logically 2nd round choices. Because he runs such good routes, and is fairly complete in terms of his size and strength (he's Ben Troupe, if you leave out the injury -- same size, same speed, better red zone threat), but could improve on his blocking, you might be able to throw Cornelius Ingram into the second round mix.

Regarding Ingram, I have to admit, there have times over the last couple of years, I would turn the TV over to the Florida game, and the dude would make a catch, and I would swear he was a WR. I would go to my friend at work and ask him about this WR Ingram. He'd say "Who?" Then we'd clear it up. A month or so went by, after the first time, I saw another couple of plays, and again, totally forgot the guy was a TE, and I asked him about Ingram all over again. The guy could be a good Crumpler replacement. If he can block well, he could be the total package.

10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Ingram is my fav TE in the draft...he's an excellent player and probably a first rnd or near first rnd talent when healthy. If we could get him mid-3rd I think he's a steal. Of course, we don't have a mid-3rd at the moment...if you catch my drift.

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar