To Those who Think the WRs dropped passes

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by petergriffin16, Sep 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

What's your flimsy excuse for him not picking up the blitz and calling a hot route? Don't even tell me that was Heimy's fault either. :irked:

Especially when you are wearing $50 WR gloves that are so tacky, you can catch a stick of butter being thrown at you.

I'm all for Edison coming in. Not so much Hawkins until I'm comfortable with him running the correct routes. I liked Hawk until he ran that post/in when he should have been a go that cause that interception.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I have little confidence in any of our young WRs except #18. I don't see hawkins ever doing much and edison won't play much this year. We need to quit dreaming. Gage-washington-britt make the money they are our top 3 guys. They are better than what we had the last 2 seasons.

The key to our offense is to make teams pay for sending the house after kerry. A screen, a slant to a guy like britt who breaks a tackle for a big play. we need to make teams pay for gambling with 2-3 man blitzes.

Would have helped to have either sciafe or cook available in those situations but that is not an excuse.

3. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

Yeah Nate kinda disappointed me (even in light of his TD catch) yesterday.

One of two things is happening here;
    1. Dinger is not giving Kerry any plays/options/audibles for the blitz and Kerry is blindly following this.
    2. Dinger is giving Kerry hot routes but he's not taking advantage of them.
    #2 would be all on Kerry.
    Now if it's #1, then Kerry needs to get his arse in the huddle and override Dinger by saying, 'ok, if they bring the house, Chris, you will be the hot route and you will run so-and-so route.'
    That's what I would do and if Dinger yelled at me when I got back to the sideline, I would tell him, 'yeah? well why don't you give me a GD hot route, and/or let me call an effin audible out of it. Have you been paying attention at all, coach? They've blitzed us on ever 3rd down and if you're not going to make the adjustment, I will. Bench me if you don't like it.'

Cook played yesterday but surprisingly enough, Dinger couldn't come up with any play or formation that would mismatch him on a defender.

4. onthemove

onthemove Guest

I don't make excuses. I criticize whoever deserves to be. A number of miscues could have caused a bad blitz pickup. I'm not blaming Dinger at all, if you're that mad, you ask him about that. Blame Collins till your blue in the face, but the drops contributed greatly to this team loss.

Lynn Swann, Jerry Rice, and Barry Sanders when he carried the ball didn't have/need the luxury of sticky tack gloves to hold on to the ball and they still made plays for their teams.

Hawk taking the blame for the INT doesn't give fans the green light to throw him back under the bus. Yes he may have played a small role in it, but the QB is as responsible for making the play by getting the ball to him as Hawk was for running the right route. It's a team game on every down.

5. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

Well you're sitting here practically crowning Collins' arse, totally blaming the WR drops as if Collins didn't stink it up. Accurate passing in the first half or not, 13 straight incompletions followed by an interception is a problem, that needs adjustment, whether it be the QB or the OC adjusting his playcalling.
    And you still didn't answer my question of what your excuse was for Collins not picking up the blitz. If you can't answer that, don't bother quoting/responding to me.

I don't care about the past. This isn't the past, it is the present, where those gloves ARE available, and legal. I was just reiterating your point about catching the ball.

What a bunch of Hippopotamus Sh##!!!
    That interception WAS Hawk's fault. :irked:
    I've said this before (and you must've not been paying attention at the time) that if Hawk ran the right route, at worst he would have been in front of the DB and the DB wouldn't have caught it. Not Vince's fault and you are special ed if you think it was.

6. desfletcher316

desfletcher316 Occasional visitor

Kerry sucked so much on some of those passes in the 4th quarter, he's gonna be breathing out New York air for a week.

7. onthemove

onthemove Guest

The blitz was your fault, you didn't yell at the TV loud enough.

Seriously, either "Heimey" calls better plays, or Collins changes the play at the LOS. No kidding adjustments had to be made. You happy now?

You're special ed if you still hold that grudge. I got over it the following play.

8. HornedToad10

HornedToad10 Camp Fodder

It was both. There were ~4 dropped passes that should have been caught... Another 1-2 that were catchable but would have been very good catches. And the rest were just flat off the mark uncatchable or throwaways.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Hold up. What makes you think it's Collins' responsibility here? His WRs see the blitz formation. It is their responsibility to run an alternate route if need be.

But what if it's 3rd-and-13? Hitting the short pass is exactly what the Jets defense wanted. It's pretty much a waste of a down to not try and pick up the first unless the Titans only needed a few to get into FG range.

Here are the third down scenarios for the Titans yesterday for all non-scoring drives:

3rd-and-3
    3rd-and-13
    3rd-and-7
    3rd-and-18
    3rd-and-7
    3rd-and-5
    3rd-and-10
    3rd-and-8
    3rd-and-10
    3rd-and-23

Only two third down situations where the Titans needed five or less. So, if you want Collins to throw a quick three-yard slant, you are hoping the WR can gain a lot of yardage after the catch because the Titans were in third-and-long all day.

For the record, CJ and the OL killed the Titans almost the entire game on first down runs which was a reason for so many third-and-longs. Here's carries by CJ on first down:

Though CJ gives the Titans the shot at a big carry on first down, he put the team in 2nd-and-long a lot more often yesterday.

10. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

^^ Very telling TJ. Thanks. We need(ed) a better mix in the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar