Titans @ Texans Game Thread

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Sep 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Please use this thread to talk football. Keep the smack out up to kickoff. We have multiple thread in the Smack Forum for that. Any smack I see in here will be deleted.

A few thoughts and keys to the Titans having a chance in this oneā€¦

Get an early lead. We've seen what happens when the Titan fall behind and it ain't pretty. The only thing worse than our run game is totally removing the threat of the run. It's also a big confidence boost. Despite the big plays last week, I don't see the Titans doing well in a situation where they have to play from behind. It could get real ugly, real fast.

Locker needs to play "within himself". I think saying a player should play "within himself" is a goofy sports cliche but, in this case, it seems appropriate. If Locker puts too much pressure on himself to do too much, I think he'll struggle. Last week, Locker hit a lot of high percentage passes early, gained confidence and then saw success downfield. I suspect that will be the plan again this week. Of course, a run game would go a long way towards doing this but I don't see it happening.

Minimize Texans big plays. The Titans can't give up big runs or deep passes. They have to make Schaub drive the field. My fear is that the Titans safeties will play as far back as Austin to stop AJ from getting behind them which means the risk of being gashed by Foster. The front seven have to tackle well.

Finish. The Titans offense made some long drives last week but didn't turn them into touchdowns. That can't happen this week. Getting into the redzone is going to be difficult enough. Gone are the days the Titans can beat the Texans on the leg of Rob Bironas. If they get close, they need to get six.

The usual. Execute. Minimal penalties. Take care of the football. Get pressure on Schaub. Keep Daniels in check. Do, at least, enough with the run so that play-action has a chance. I think the Titans will have to play a near-perfect game to have a chance to leave Houston with a win.

Attached Files:

2. Aqutis30

Aqutis30 Do you mind - NOT being a Motaur?

They will definetly have to play a perfect game to win in Houston. I wish the Titans D could find a happy medium concerning the pass and the run but Jerry Gray plays scared. I would love to see us concentrate on litterally stopping Foster for very short gains or tackles for a loss. If we are going to lose I would rather it be by the deep ball, watching our D get shredded in the run game is what REALLY hurts.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

That's further complicated if the Texans spread things out which forces the Titans to the nickel. I hope the Titans play to stop the run first. If I am the Texans, I try to wear out the Titans D (physically and mentally) with long drives pounding the football and quick passes. Then, play-action deeper stuff will open up for them.

4. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

I think we win this game if we score the most points.

5. TNTitans58

TNTitans58 Rookie

No practice for Britt today or any day this week. It's just amazing how this guy just can't stay out of trouble and can't stay healthy. Who knows how tough this injury is (ankle), but I wonder how tough he is. Seems really soft

6. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

Thats what I am thinking, I was in no rush to have him back after his knee, but this ankle thing along with everything else makes him seem like quite the baby.

7. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

CJ: 13 carries & 6 yards

8. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Early lead will be clutch in us even competing with the all mighty Texans.

9. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

McCarthy is OUT

I knew this was going to happen, the dude is brittle.. just look at college. He was always playing hurt. Some people just have the injury bug.. sad though. McCarthy has so much potential (but like Britt), he will never be able to peak because of injury set backs.

10. Aqutis30

Aqutis30 Do you mind - NOT being a Motaur?

It's not suprising though. McCarthy plays at a really high level and sets himself up to be injured easier than others. Oh and man can I tell you those ankle injuries can certainly be nagging ones for a long time. I rolled my ankle real bad back in like 2003 and to this day I have issues where my ankle tries roll over on the slightest incline or decline. I can imagine how it affects a football player.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar