Breaking News Titans release QB Matt Hasselbeck

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titans1839, Mar 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

It seems to me more people are glad to get the cap room rather than "hating" on Hasselbeck. I don't think anyone here would suggest he isn't a class act.

Am I mistaken in thinking he could get re-signed if the market shows little to no interest? Our organization probably had a lower number and Hasselbeck wanted to make sure he couldn't do better elsewhere. Doesn't necessarily preclude he won't be back- just makes it unlikely.

Most likely that Fitzpatrick's number matched or beat what we wanted Hasselbeck to take. We'll see what happens. I agree with Toronto that it doesn't matter who the back-up is for the next season, it all depends on Locker.

2. Zappa71

Zappa71 MYAAAH!

We can only hope.

3. Zappa71

Zappa71 MYAAAH!

Good luck Matty, you're too good to out of a job in the NFL. Please just don't end up on the Jaguars.

4. Chronos

Chronos Pro Bowler

I agree 100%. Matt was very much responsible for our 9-7 season and was a stabilizing presence on a young team. He is clearly past his prime but there is no reason to be disrespectful.

5. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

What a class act. All Titans fans should be happy we had this guy. He came in and gave us a great chance to be a playoff team and we just missed out at 9-7. Say all you want about his "performance" last year but the fact is this team won 33% of there games last year with Hasselbeck as the starter. He won impressive games against PIT & BUF, easily the best stretch of our pathetic season.

Plus, he was very classy throughout the whole Peyton Manning debacle, and I believe Locker has learned a TON about being a pro from Matt.

Now I agree there was no way he could return this year at 5.5mil base salary with a 7.5 cap hit. I guess he wasn't willing to go low enough.

I rather use the money to go and get Dumervil but I doubt that's gonna happen.

This move will realistically probably save us 2-3mil only after we sign a vet QB like Fitzpatrick

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

He did us a solid. He was a decent QB for us. Can't hate.

7. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

I have a feeling this release isn't to make a big move, it's simply to save a few dollars. Sign a cheaper, younger guy to be the backup and put ourselves in a better cap situation during the season.

8. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Okay this is really a no brainer. Obviously Hass didn't want to restructure as much as we wanted so we save some money and we're going to bring in a better and cheaper option in probably Fitzpatrick. Also this might be freeing up some cap room for a certain someone...

9. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

God help us if Jake goes down.

10. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Does this mean that guy who has a topless Hasselbeck avatar will finally give it up?

• High Five High Five x 6
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar