Titans RB Situation Uncertain for '06

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jan 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

This I can not agree with this more. If LB or S is not addressed with this #2 pick we are asking to be a door mat again. It is true that the run game sucks but even though I think that the Redskins made a good move in FA with Portis I don't think that an :suspect:"upgrade":suspect: at RB should be a priority at all this year. I know I have made statements in the past week expressing dissatisfaction with Brown and those still hold true. I am not calling for his head though. Henry has also fallen way short and if there was a way to skirt away from him without collateral damage, I'd be for it, even though I'm on the fence when it comes to dealing criticism in regards to him.

In my opinions I often fail to weigh in finacial concerns and that flaws arguments that I make at times. If we are talking about spending money (which I admit I am not good at), I'd rather see cap room be spent at safety or LB. I'd also spend that 2nd pick there as well. I'd rather have a big name impact FA safety and a 2nd spent on a MLB type if Volek is dealt for a third...

I really bought into the "two-headed" monster concept initially...
    I think we could leave it alone...besides, it's my impression that with Henry's issues that gives us leverage in negotiations.

I'd rather have that third pick spent at OL. Someone good to compliment Roos. If Vince Young is not drafted by us (In other words if Leinart falls to us) I wouldn't mind if McNair went on his way and go ahead and start Volek.. (or take way less money and spend that money at other key areas.) That all but guarentees a top pick next year, (keeping/starting Volek) I'll concede because Volek would suck, but on the upside I'm sure there is another great back coming up in the NCAA somewhere.

2. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

The bottom line is there is always a tendancy to rate these guys who have never played a game in the NFL as being better than what we already have. That is the situation at RB. IMO, if we don't spend an early to mid 1st round pick on a RB we will not have a better situation. It is possible a guy like Laurence Maroney sneaks into the 2nd round and he could be considered however I don't see any of the guys available after the first round really being an improvement over Brown or Henry. Thats not to say a sleeper might not manifest as a 1000+ yard back similar to D. Davis did for the Texans but as far as getting a big, strong, durable back who can carry the load I don't see any this year. Compared to last year this draft is weak. I do see opportunities to upgrade the roster at OL, LB and S. First, we are terrible at LB and S and almmost any decent player is an upgrade. Secondly, as I have been arguing all along we are not as weak at RB as people keep saying we are. Heck, If Chris Brown was coming out of college this year he would easily a 2nd round pick. For the OL/RB scenario to work we would need to pick the RB first (after trading down) and then hope one of the solid OT-OGs is available in the second.
    For the most part I just hope we stick to taking the best player available this year, whoever those picks might be (OL,S,LB,RB) and when the draft is over determine where we need to find FAs. Let's not draft any more duds.

3. TM

TM Starter

Joseph Addai from LSU. He's a complete RB who can run with power between the tackles, speed to the outside, catch the ball out of the backfield and is an accomplished pass blocker.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

With all the needs the Titans have, I don't see them drafting a RB unless they were ready to dump Henry and had a complete lack of faith in Nash even as a #2.

5. TM

TM Starter

In the USA Today team reports a few weeks ago there was mention that the Titans wanted to take a RB on the first day.

6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Addai would be a reach IMO where we pick in the second round and would not be an upgrade. He is only 5'11, 210 pound and although he might make a decent pro back he has not proven he can carry the load. Addai would not be an improvment in short yardage either. If we had a 3rd round pick he could be a decent value there. I would rather get a guy like Bobby Carpenter or Thomas Howard at LB or Max Jean Giles or one of the OTs based on what I've read so far.

7. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

[​IMG]

8. TM

TM Starter

When I saw Addai in the Peach Bowl against Miami he had a very good day (130 yds. & caught a TD pass) and ran hard between the tackles. As to his draft spot, we might be able to get him after a trade down, but the Cards, Ravens and Eagles all pick shortly after the Titans and any/all of them could be in market for a RB.

9. TM

TM Starter

10. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

This is a case to draft a running back I suppose, but I feel that they have greater first day needs than running back. I believe the only possible running back the Titans could draft 1st day would be Reggie Bush and the odds of that happening are about as good as them drafting Gunny. I'm not saying that you are Balogna...I never doubted the paper reported that...but I just don't believe USAToday in this instance.
    Now if the notion was passed that they would trade out of #3 for an extra first...I can see it...but I don't think that is going to happen. Reese is not going to trade out and he has no third pick and he isn't stupid enough to blow the precious second pick on a running back. Besides, I think he's looking for the real deal next year... Are you thinking DeAngelo or something?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar