Titans New 3-4 D with Rex Ryan

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by acqua7, Oct 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

The falcons make the playoffs every year with a 4-3 defense. The Saints won a super bowl with a 4-3 defense. The bears are top 10 every year and they play a 4-3. I guess those teams are "stale".

The Rams and Seahawks have much improved defenses and they play a 4-3 and the Lions are ranked 9th playing a 4-3.Then you have the cards who are a much improved 3-4 defense as well as the success of the Texans and the 49ers but the Browns were bad for years playing a 3-4.

Whatever scheme you use you have to coach it well and draft the right players for it. I personally prefer the 4-3 and drafting a great defensive line.

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

We would need a complete reboot of our front seven to play 3-4. The only true nose tackle we had was cut in training camp. We have several players who will not be nearly as effective in a 3-4:
    • Jurrell Casey
    • Sen'derrick Marks
    • Mike Martin
    • Derrick Morgan
    • Karl Klug
    • Zach Brown
    • Colin McCarthy
    Some of these guys will probably not be with the team much longer. However, you want to unload guys like Casey, Martin and McCarthy just for the sake of switching schemes?

3. acqua7

acqua7 Pro Bowler

note the title of the thread. Rex Ryan is a great defensive coach.

and sure staleness can come into play. Would you not consider our D stale or bleh for a while now? Don't you think its been pretty non competitive since 2008?

Ever since we let Haynesworth go (and don't take that comment as a oh we should have resigned him) our D has not been the same.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

So much of defense is the individual abilities of each player getting off blocks and executing. And the DC has to make the right calls.

I think the problem I have with our defense is that we play too soft in the secondary.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I think Casey and Martin would be fine as 3-4 Des(Not NT) and that Mccarthy could play ILB in any system. Agree with the rest of the guys. Morgan is a pure 4-3 end and Brown is a pure 4-3 WLB.

6. The Hammer

I will give you Casey. Not sure about Martin though. Both would need to get bigger, that is for sure.

7. The Hammer

I think we need to look deeper. Why are we playing so soft in the secondary? Could it be we are playing so soft to make up for a terrible pass rush and a weak SS?

8. J Falk

J Falk Starter

What? Casey and Martin would be great as 34 D-ends; that size/speed combination it perfect! So would Klug...not so sure about Morgan, and I really don't care if we resign Marks. To say McCarthy and Z Brown wouldn't translate doesn't make any sense in my eyes; McCarthy would be just fine and Z Brown could either be a rotational rusher or translate just fine at ILB...Also, you have to also recognize that Wimbley and Ayers would definitely benefit from a switch because it's their more natural position. Wimbley sucks at rushing from a 3-point stance....SUCKS! and Ayers is good a rushing the QB now, but running the 34 could only help him.

9. J Falk

J Falk Starter

Didn't we resign McCourty?! this list is wack...what a horrible free agent class(for our needs atleast)

ALTHOUGH...IF we switched to a 34, Brian Urlacher or James Laurinaitis would fit in nicely right beside our boy McCarthy wouldn't they? I don't see any interior O-lineman...bummer

10. acqua7

acqua7 Pro Bowler

Laurinitis signed a extension with STL. List isn't 100% up to date but you can see how thin it is.

So that means we'll probably give an extension to someone useless like Leroy Harris.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar