Titans Need New Offense, Sort Of

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by GLinks, Sep 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smash

Smash 2017 Survivor Winner

It was mentioned several places last week, that CJ has the highest YPC when running from a 3WR set.

2. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

Actually that's exactly what we need to do. Big, physical receiver. Can get position inside and YAC. Could it be any worse than the rest of the plays we tried yesterday?

3. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

It was exciting because we had momentum, but the offense was boring. VY threw 17 passes. We ran the ball 30+ times. We had one long throw.

Big plays start with big-time coaches, calling big-time plays.

4. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Absolutely not. In fact, it's a missing key ingredient that the passing game needs to establish a rhythm.

Slants, crossing routes. We have receivers, except Gage, designed to get yards after the catch. Washington, Britt, Hawkins, Cook, Mariani, Williams.

It must be obvious to every team in the league but ours, and yet it's like it's what they picked them to do.

5. pettso

pettso Starter

Fisher is failing miserably at adjusting game plans year to year, let alone game to game and play to play. Watching CJ try running up the middle for no gain makes me cringe every time.

In 2008 we did well relying on the defense rushing 4 and having KC be a game manager. 2009 we lost Haynesworth and had some DB injuries and he did absolutely nothing to adjust. Every game at the beginning of the season played out the same... Fall behind because we got no pressure on the QB then have KC try to throw the ball to come from behind. Failed a good 80% of the time (the other 20% being having Mouton returning kicks). It took an 0-6 start, players coming back from injuries and Bud Adams chiming in for any adjustment to be made.

Last year, after the adjustment, we found out that CJ was tough to handle for defenses and ran him 350+ times with great success. Again, Fisher got confident that the team could win like that. We beat Oakland (one of the worst teams in the league) doing the same thing in week 1. Now the Steelers game planned for us properly and we looked completely lost. I saw absolutely no adjustments on offense, it was pathetic. Nothing to even attempt to throw the defense off.

It's as if Fisher sits there and says "Why isn't what we're doing working!? It's worked before! Keep trying it's bound to work at some point..." instead of being a good coach and adapting in the game.

I wanted Fisher out last year, figured I'd see what he can do this year but I honestly think this guy does not have what it takes to win in the NFL. He's good at motivating and coaching up young players, but his game planning is absolutely pathetic. It's not VYs fault that we generally lose to good teams, its the fact that we always go into those games utterly unprepared and don't make the necessary adjustments.

6. Wraith

Wraith Starter

we need to run play action passes more often, it would have been a huge help against the steelers, they focused on CJ and the secondary went up almost every time. not only does it give us big play opportunities, it causes the d to hesitate, opening up running lanes for CJ

7. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Flea-flickers would work in this offense, yet we haven't seen one in years.

8. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Oh, and there's usually a couple of runs a game where I feel CJ and the OL has strung out the defense so far to one side, I feel good about him changing direction and picking up some yards going the other way.

Why does this never happen? (Think it happened once with little gain last week, but I've seen it a couple times a game for a while now.)

9. Smash

Smash 2017 Survivor Winner

There was one in the New England game last year.. - they ran it pretty well 'em Pats.

10. PorcupineTree

PorcupineTree Starter

Great post, couldn't agree more... Ultimately, this is why Fisherball just falls flat on it's face season after season, after season, after season, after...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar