Titans LB Akeem Ayers: I screwed up

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

The Titans had plenty of reasons to kick themselves after Thursday night’s loss to the Colts.

Linebacker Akeem Ayers was one player wishing he could take back a mistake.

Ayers was flagged for a critical unnecessary roughness penalty when he hit Colts quarterback Andrew Luck in the fourth quarter just after he handed off the football. Instead of the Colts facing a third-and-six with just over three minutes left, Indianapolis was awarded a first down at the Tennessee 11-yard line.

Two plays later, Colts running back Donald Brown scored on an 11-yard touchdown run to make it 30-20.

“Honestly, I thought (Luck) still had the ball in his hand,’’ Ayers said. “But I have to know, how they’re protecting quarterbacks in the league, that I can’t do that even though he had his back to me and I couldn’t see if he had the ball.

“I screwed up. But you can’t sit there and harp on it. We still had a chance to get a stop there and hold them to a field goal, but we didn’t do it.”

Share on Facebook

Posted In: League News, Team News

Source: Titans Insider
  2. Brew City

Brew City Case Race Champion Tip Jar Donor

Cut his ass. Who's the Jaguars SLB. Let us get him.
  3. steverife

steverife Starter

Well, that sucks.
  4. xpmar9x

xpmar9x Vote for Pedro

You've screwed up all year, Ayers.
    • High Five High Five x 2
  5. Ewker

Ewker Starter

he wasn't the only player who screwed up last night
    • High Five High Five x 1
  6. MrBean

MrBean Master of Not Much

When I saw it happen I thought exactly as he did. Looked like a great fake for a bootleg. With Lucks back to him, what wa Ayers supposed to do?

It's not Like Ayers laid into him.
  7. dontdraftcutler

dontdraftcutler Go Cutler!

I'd like to hear this statement from the coaching staff...
  8. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

Ayers has actually struggled all-year. Just when he was finally making some plays (not a lot, but more than usual) against the Colts, he goes dumb. I actually couldn't believe when I saw Luck flying off the camera...

He was RIGHT BESIDE HIM... Why the F would you toss a QB when you are not 100% SURE he has the ball - Luck faked him just by giving him his back and doing a stutter step.

Even if he did have the ball a hit like that might draw a penalty anyway. He could have EASILY rapped his arms around him and just held him or just tackle him normally, and avoid this.
  9. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE @JCBRAVE

ayersmissing.jpg
    • High Five High Five x 2
  10. Fry

Fry Hatin' is what I do.

This is the type of play losing teams make.

I do feel for him though. If he halfheartedly goes after him and Luck has the ball we have Kiwanuka situation on our hands.