Titans Interested in Manning?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by pobo90, Mar 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

I put up all of manning's stats. credit was given where he earned it. You can't tell me that the year they won the SB he played well throughout the playoffs.

2. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Manning doesn't have to go through waivers because he's what's called a "vested veteran," which I forget exactly but I think means he's been in the league more than 4 years. He's cut, he's immediately a free agent, and can sign with whomever he pleases.

3. cdubbs2121

cdubbs2121 Pro Bowler

We should just offer him an incentive laden contract similar to the one Ricky Williams signed with no limit records as a rookie and hope he doesn't read the fine print

4. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Personally, I think there's about a 2% chance that the Titans sign Manning, and like milk, I'm pretty bland on the matter . But I disagree about it not making a difference to the Titans financially speaking.

Yes, there's revenue sharing, but all profits are not split evenly. Increased jersey sales benefit everyone more, but not everyone evenly. Nuff said about that.

Ticket sales might stay the same, but the increase in bodies means more concessions, more apparel, more programs, more broadcast time, more people in the area, more events in the community.

Whereas Manning did spend fewer years in Tennessee compared to New Orleans and Indianapolis, the opportunity to capitalize on his time spent in any one of those places remains greatest here. Think about it: it's the place to close a great NFL career right down the road from where the college one began.

C'mon. That's money in the bank, kids. More media. More exposure for the state. Really, when you think about it, there's just more meaningful history left to write for Manning in TN than other places. Brees already gave NO its hope and pride back. Manning couldn't top that. The rest is pretty much just going to "a team."

I'm just playing devil's advocate here, so no one take this as Manning rhetoric or a wish of any sort. The important question for the Titans is whether or not this is viable from a football standpoint. I think that's the standpoint upon which we can all agree. I think we've got a fortunate situation with Hasselbeck and Locker. It's a natural fit. The difference with Manning and our offense, if he could play at a high level, is we would have an offense whipped into shape. I can't say we've ever really had that before.

So I dunno. There's pros, and great big cons. It would have to be a perfect storm for the Titans to get Manning, much less for it to "work," and by "work" I mean "SuperBowl."

If I just scowled my face real hard, would you know what I mean? That's what happens when I think Titans and Manning. It's probably years of conditioning.

5. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

I highly doubt there will be any sort of bidding war for Peyton Manning. Peyton will go where he wants to go and where he feels is the best fit. Everyone is going to offer a fair contract and he's going to choose the team he believes he can win a championship with. Money will most likely not be a factor.

All I'm saying is if he wants to play for us and he's healthy, we'd be morons to tell him no.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

This is what I am thinking. He is going to sign a 3 or 4 year deal with someone and basically plug in the numbers himself.

I am sure he has already talked to Archie and anyone else who is close to him. Outside of 5-6 teams, he is going to go where he wants. However, I do not think Tennessee is high on his list. Probably middle of the road.

7. Sonic28

Sonic28 Starter

Wow for once he actually had a defense to play with and what do ya know..... They win the SB. Colts don't win that AFC Championship game without Manning

8. mike75

mike75 Pro Bowler

In my opinion i think he will choose either Denver or Miami.As far as the NY Jets i don't see him going there is so much drama there in the locker room and so much infighting i doubt he would also want to deal with Rex Ryan being a motormouth either and we all know Ryan and Manning probably would not mesh too well.You have the Dolphins who have Brandon Marshall at WR and most likely they could also pick up Reggie Wayne since he is from Miami and played college there.Denver has some pretty good receivers there plus a running game already in place not to mention a pretty good defense so i think the Broncos are another team that could be a good fit.Call me crazy but i see it coming down to either Miami or Denver.

9. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

You are proving my point ... signing Peyton does not make any team a SB contender like so many people think. He doesn't do it all himself he needs a team in place around him. Ok he won the AFC championship, I don't want to take that away from him, but he chokes in the playoffs more often than not. He was great in regular season, not so much in the POs.

Plus I really think that the team that signs him will be very disappointed. I really think his time has just come. He had a great career, but he will never be back to form IMHO, and changing teams will just make it even harder for him. People are expecting to get the Peyton from the last 5 years, its not gonna happen. There is a reason the Colts cut him.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I love how TheSureThing just thinks this is a video game where you can destroy relationships and step on toes and no one will care.

You bring in Manning and half the team resents the front office for it. I know Nate Washington specifically will hate the move.

I think if we were a losing team, yes, inquire about hiring the Hall of Famer, but we're not a losing team.

• High Five High Five x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar