Titans interested in DE Alex Brown

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Puck, Jun 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titansfan9

titansfan9 Camp Fodder

usually when fans of different teams agree on a deal it probably means the deal is more realistic, not because the fans said so but because fans know their players and FO's better than any other fans- so no, we shouldn't take it as gospel, but its good to know that the fact a 3rd rounder could bring in Brown is not just wishful thinking...

2. Nine

Nine Starter

Everyone would love to get a DE who gets 10+ sacks year in and year out.

Let me know when one comes available....I'm not seeing a listing for "DE's 'R Us" in the phone book.

Brown is available, and would strengthen the DE rotation considerably. If he was a premiere pass rusher, they'd be demanding a first or second round pick.

Brown may not be a big-time high profile signing, but he'd fix a lot of what's wrong with the defense. If they Bears are willing to accept a third or fourth round pick for him, then I'm all for it.

3. ROCKYMTNTITAN

ROCKYMTNTITAN Camp Fodder

4. Nine

Nine Starter

Brown is attempting to force a trade from the Bears, though Chicago thus far has been somewhat reluctant to accommodate him.

All the article says is that the Bears have thus far been reluctant to accomodate Brown's desire to be traded.

In otherwords, it hasn't happened yet....but this has no bearing on the possibility of a deal being struck at some point.

I haven't gotten the impression that Bears are refusing to trade Brown....it just isn't real high on their list of priorities.

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I have never seen a team not in cap trouble try to dismantle itself like the Bears are trying to do, especially after a Superbowl appearance.

6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

So what have the Bears done to "dismantle" themselves? Name significant loses so far? They traded Jones, probably their best RB but Benson was a very high draft pick who has started to play well and they simply can't afford to keep two high profile, high salary RBs. They also have a glut at DE and don't need Brown and certainly don't want to pay a boatload for a guy who is going to be a backup. If the Bears are saying they are reluctant to trade Brown it is simply a ploy to try and get a team to offer them a better deal.
    The Bears are simply trying to stay out of CAP hell by not paying players they think are second tier or not neccesary and they do have Briggs wanting a huge deal they may have to deal with.

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Jones, and possibly Brown and Briggs.

Three pretty good players and I never seen another Superbowl team do it when it isn't necessary.

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

So moving a 29 year old RB when you still have the 4th person taken in the 2005 draft on your team doesn't make sense.
    So moving a DE who is pretty good who wants a big payday when you have a phenom DE who as a rookie last year playing part time had 12 sacks doesn't make sense.
    Last time I checked Briggs was still on the Bears. Briggs was franchised because he was a FA. There is a chance he could be moved for a high draft pick(s) if the Bears don't want to give him the huge payday he wants (better than letting him walk next year). The problem is the Bears already have a franchise level LB and it might not be prudent in the long run to try and keep two LBs with huge salaries. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they move Brown they will have more leverage CAP wise to keep Briggs. Moving Jones helped some as well.

I'd hardly call what the Bears are doing a "dismantle" however the Bears are looking short and long term and if they can move players for draft picks they don't think they need to sustain their level of competitiveness to give them a better position salary cap wise down the road they are being smart. They already drafted a DE in the 2nd round to replace Brown in their DE rotation. They also drafted one of the best TEs in the draft and took Garrett Wolfe in the 3rd round.

9. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

When the 4th pick has amounted to nothing, yes it makes no sense.

Soxcat you missed the key word 'trying' to dismantle

10. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Benson averaged the same YPC that Jones did, he just got fewer carries. He can replace Jones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar