Titans have no plans to bump Fokou

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Sep 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

When the Titans kick off the season in Pittsburgh on Sunday, Moise Fokou will be the team’s starting middle linebacker.

Colin McCarthy, a starter last season who was also a team captain, will be a reserve, and special teams player.

And right now, the Titans don’t plan on bumping Fokou from the position any time soon.

Coach Mike Munchak said he earned the position, and the team has no plans to replace him even as McCarthy gets healthier.

“If Moise (Fokou) plays like we think he can, you hope not. You don’t have a crystal ball. I mean, can it happen? Sure. Anything’s possible,’’ he said. “You want them both to play well and see what happens. For now, Moise’s played well. He took advantage of the situation he was given, and now we just have to see how we play as a unit. If guys don’t play well, then yes, you start looking for different combinations that maybe change the way we play. Hopefully, we’re not going to have that conversation. But, it happens at all positions, the offensive line, receiver, linebacker, defensive line. If guys that start the season don’t get the right fit, then you keep making adjustments. He just has to keep getting better, stay healthy, keep working, and he’s going to be a big part of us winning games. “

McCarthy missed nine games last season because of an ankle injury and a concussion. He missed three of the team’s four preseason games this year with a hamstring injury.

The team planned on McCarthy being its starter in the middle even after signing Fokou this offseason. But McCarthy’s going to need patience now.

“I think he is disappointed, I know I would be,’’ Munchak said. “Last year things were going my way and then injuries, injuries, injuries, and someone is ahead of me and I don’t like that. I hope he feels he’s as good as anybody we have, and he should be playing. Unfortunately he just has to work his way back to where we feel he can do all the things he needs to do on an everyday basis. He has missed some time … and right now he is not where he needs to be to be an every down guy. … The big thing is he is healthy and he can help us.”

Share on Facebook

Posted In: League News, Team News, Training Camp

Source: Titans Insider

2. Mberglo

Mberglo Starter

Good to see Titans playing the best man, regardless of previous plans.

3. Ten_Titans

Ten_Titans Pro Bowler

Well they should make plans. I don't think anyone can argue that McCarthy is better when healthy.

Why not just play McCarthy until he gets hurt, then play Fokou?

4. Mberglo

Mberglo Starter

They judged Fokou to be the better player for week 1.

5. GOFIGURETITANS

GOFIGURETITANS Pro Bowler

Whatever the reason, I don't care. I just want the best player on the field.

6. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

McCarthy is made of glass. Fokou beat him in TC. Simple as that. McCarthy will start a few games when Fokou gets hurt or beat.

I like the accountability. McCarthy's ego got bruised a bit but hey- he did it to himself.

7. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

and how often is that?

8. Ten_Titans

Ten_Titans Pro Bowler

Does it matter? If McCarthy is healthy for half a snap.... he is the better option for that half a snap.

And thus, he should be the one playing until he gets hurt.

• High Five High Five x 2
  9. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

And he's still not totally healthy now. The coaches actually wanted to start someone, well, dependable.

10. Ten_Titans

Ten_Titans Pro Bowler

What good is that if he is dependably not as good as McCarthy?

If they had said "McCarthy isn't completely healthy, so we will evaluate the position later." I would have been fine with it. But to act like there was a competition is silly. McCarthy wasn't healthy long enough for a competition. But who cares? If he is better then MF then send him out there. And I think we all think he is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar