Titans First-Round Draft Pick (#20): Baylor WR Kendall Wright

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Apr 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

Him or Konz

2. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

Melvin? In the first I think you are talking about... Not so much. I liked his athleticism but was unsure how he would fit in for us. Didn't really connect well with the scheme I think. Could be wrong tho. The FO might have really liked him.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I'll agree with you on Hawkins but I don't see how anyone can say DWill can't be a #2. He more than doubled his production from his rookie season and will be in year five when Washington's contract ends. I see a lot of upside. Many say it takes 2-3 seasons for most WRs to learn the game.

I think this is more about a lack of faith Britt will be the kind of WR who can stay on the field.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

Agree with that completely.

Williams could probably be a serviceable number 2 next year with Britt at 100%. I think they felt some heat with Britt and that is why we have Wright. Hope for the best but expect the worst type of scenario.

5. THE_TITAN

THE_TITAN Starter

I don't think this pick has anything to do with Britt at all. I think it's more about changing the identity of our offense. We'll probably see more 3 wide receiver sets which might help CJ2K because a potent passing attack is going to open up holes for the running game. I honestly think the FO just went for the guy that they thought was the BPA and Britt, D-Will and Washington's roles haven't really changed, instead they've just added onto that group.

6. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

I think twice a year we are going to regret not having Mercilus on our side of the D.

I don't like the WR pick and don't think it makes our offense something to fear.

Been wrong before...but....

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. acqua7

acqua7 Pro Bowler

Well was his production a result of Britt's injury and someone having to catch balls thrown :wink2:?

to answer my own Q...maybe, but he did make some insane catches.

I think i went on to explain further down that this trio "Wright/Williams/Britt" can be a great trio since they'r so young and can build together along with Locker.

8. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

I was initially shocked by the pick, as I fully expected DeCastro or a D-lineman, but now that I have had the chance to think about it, I have some thoughts:

1) It is a pure BPA pick, so I will not complain about it. I trust the Titans front office's ability to evaluate players far more than I trust my own. They didn't make this pick because they felt pressure to fill a need or because Bud Adams wanted a specific player or because of any other (bad) reason. They took Wright because they love him as a prospect and he was simply too good to pass up. That is how teams should draft.

2) The Titans are finally building a modern NFL offense. No more pounding it up the middle on downs 1-3 and then a punt. This team will look more like the Packers than the 49ers. I expect a bunch of 3-wide sets, which should open up space for CJ to be the kind of running back that he really should be. In today's NFL, receivers are at a premium.

3) The Titans offense is going to be explosive. Maybe more than any other team in the league.

4) All of that said, I don't buy the idea that they would have taken Wright over certain defensive players. Webster said they would "probably" have taken him over Coples, but it wasn't convincing. He also admitted that some defensive players they had higher than Wright were off the board. I think they would have preferred Cox or Coples and maybe even Kirkpatrick and Poe, but they simply weren't willing to pay the price to move up for those guys.

9. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

Williams is the wide out being over looked. He could blow it up this season. Depends on if he wants to

10. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Who would I rather have? Whitney Mercilus for one- which actually addresses a NEED on the team.

We're not NEAR good enough to start making luxury picks or BPA picks when we have zero depth on the line, and need starters there.

I mean, I guess it's good we didn't take a corner- but this is almost as stupid.

It's not a knock on Wright. I'm a fan. But this pick was a dumb one for this organization. They simply weren't thinking.

Justify it? No, the people taking UP for the pick need to justify it. Sorry- we didn't need a slot receiver.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar