Titans Fifth-Round Draft Pick (#145): SMU DE/TE Taylor Thompson

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Apr 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 520titan

520titan Special Teams Standout

i dont know why a lot of people are worried bout him switching positions...like titanswrath said there have been some great t.e. who didnt even play college football...so the argument he cant switch from de to te is a dumb moronic statement. it seems t.e. is a position a great athlete will excel at...course all depends if he can catch or not which i assume he can he played well in high school from what i heard

2. 520titan

520titan Special Teams Standout

and i just read he plays guitar and piano...must have some intelligence..also listens to classicla music..oh shoot he watches workaholics and his favorite movie is super troopers...stoner alert....

3. Smash

Smash 2017 Survivor Winner

From yesterday:

It was 1st day on the field and means nothing. But it's the offseason and all we've got.

4. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

well its better than the passes bouncing off his forehead

• High Five High Five x 4
  5. mike75

mike75 Pro Bowler

This dude could end up becoming a lethal weapon for Locker and the offense.Just think if we put Cook and Thompson out there at the same time.Man i haven't been this excited about the rookies and the upcoming season in a long time.One thing i can say about Munchak and our GM Webster is they are finally putting together the kind of team we really need and its a breath of fresh air from Fisher's regime thats for sure.

6. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

Great news to read yesterday.

7. DownSouthPlayer

DownSouthPlayer Starter

any video on this kid playing TE?

8. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

No video but I do have scout notes

This is from optimum scouting and talks about how thompson impressed at the all star classic during practices. Realize this guy was sitting in the stands, taking notes to post on his site.*

Day 1 of practice

-Taylor Thompson from SMU, brought his gloves today and showed signs of promise at tight end. Looks like a natural fit for the position, has the body and frame teams look for, and gave plus effort in blocking situations. Gets into his route without much trouble fighting through linebackers, but wasn’t thrown many passes. In limited opportunities, Thompson put his very underrated and unseen ball skills on display. I still don’t have a good read on Thompson, as today was the first time I’d seen him play tight end; a huge project that will take some time to develop, Thompson needs to really do something incredible this week in order to change his scouting report from “Practice squad material” to “draftable”.*

Day 2*

-Taylor Thompson has looked very natural and fluid this week at tight end, switching over the line of scrimmage from defensive end where he played in college. A tall, big bodied guy that runs very well for his size, Thompson put on display a great pair of hands, really secures the ball well after the catch, and can even attack the seams with his downfield speed. Certainly looks draft worthy in my eyes as a project tight end that can start down the road.

Day 3*

-A scout told me today that Taylor Thompson might end up a 4th round draft pick after his impressive week at tight end. Having played defensive end his entire career at SMU, Thompson picked up the position so naturally and so quickly that all scouts in attendance couldn’t help but be impressed. I spotted a Chargers scout after practice, talking at length with Thompson and showing a good deal of interest. Seems to be a good fit, but once we get to April, all teams will be interested in this guy, who’s big, tall, athletic, and gifted. June Jones personally contacted the Player’s All-Star Classic and requested Thompson be played at tight end, where Jones said he would have his best chance at making the NFL.

• High Five High Five x 2
  9. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

People know that Jimmy Graham played a season at Miami, but what they don't know is he only caught 15 balls. What's better? A guy who plays football in high school and college and switches positions or a guy who played one year and stays at his old position?

I'll take the football player in the fifth round instead of the basketball player in the third round.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

This guy is going to develop into a stud. I wish we had a Thompson Jersey on here so I could use it. That way, in a year or two, I could say I was the first one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar