Titans Defense Possibly Looking At A Trip To The Record Books?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Bababooey, Oct 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bababooey

Bababooey Veteran

obviously it's only 5 games into the season but if there's any time that these talks should start to heat up, it's about now. With 22 sacks this season in just 5 games, they're just half a sack behind the famed Chicago Bears defense of the 80's that hung 72 sacks in the record books.

Over a 16-game season, that means a team must average over 4.5 sacks a game to take the record.

Here's the question(s):

Are the Titans even close to being able to contest the 72-sack single season team record?

With the Titans averaging 4.4 sacks per game currently and the record pace being 4.5 sacks/game, could we at least keep up with the record?

Also, if we can't, what do you think will be our demise in the search for such a record? My early guess would be injury, but so far none have been so serious we couldn't play without them.

I'm sure I'll get flamed that this is a non-subject and completely ridiculous to bring up, but I think it really adds an element to each game as you start counting up each sack, thinking of how close this defense may be to the record as the games go on.

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. Pacman 4 HoF

Pacman 4 HoF Starter

I was skeptical that our d could keep up this pace in like week 3 by now I'm convinced that we are just gunna do work every week and keep a few more games in reach due to the dline

3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I like our chances. I probably prematurely drafted the Titans defense in fantasy football knowing this may happen. Glad I got our boys.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

No way. We don't blitz enough. There's no way we're going to get 70+ sacks with just a d-line rotation.

5. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

We seemed to blitz plenty in the Cowboys game or at least it seemed that way since we had so much pressure on them.

6. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

If our offense sucks and we don't play 20 yards off the line of scrimmage..I could see around 60 sacks..70+ ..nah there will be games that they just suck.

7. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

It's an interesting topic and glad you started the thread.

I think we have no chance to do this. Why? Just don't believe enough in the D-line to think we'll keep up this sack craziness.

Don't get me wrong, I really like this team, I think we can go far, just don't believe our defense will do something this epic.

8. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

We could and I don't think injuries would play a huge factor since we have a huge rotation. It would be difficult if we lost Jones though.

9. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I did the same thing. Great minds think alike. They've been straight money every week. Double digits in all but the Pitt game.

10. TitansJonne

TitansJonne OG triple OG

me too hahaha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar