Titans Big Board

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by GLinks, Jan 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

How do you guys think the big board looks for the scouting office right about now? Here's my guess.

1)Vince Young/ Matt Leinart, QB- I give a slight nod to Young, but essentially split the houses of influence between McNair and Chow. Remember when we thought we had no chance at Leinart last year?

2) Reggie Bush, RB - if he falls and we get our 2nd Heisman RB in a decade, I'll be ecstatic.

3) D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT - who else you gonna put? I know what some of you think - AJ Hawk. My only concern here is it's too high of a pick for Ferguson. Is he going to be that much better than Roos? Should we be looking for more of a RT type, like McNeill or someone? Seems to be value here in the 2nd-3rd. I like the Brick, but I like him more if we trade back and get him. Also wonder if he won't live up to the hype.

4) A.J. Hawk, OLB - I like him too, y'all, but given our current situation, only if we trade back a couple of spots.

5) Mario Williams, DE/DT - This guy would be great along with KVB. Very little running going on up front against that line. Kevin Carter mold. I look here particularly if we are without KVB.

6) Mathias Kiwanuka, DE - same as above, but pure speed rusher.

7) DeAngelo Williams, RB - I know very few of you have interest in this guy, but as I said before, if Reggie Bush is LaDanian Tomlinson, D Williams is Shaun Alexander. I'd be happy with either, honestly.

8) Jimmy Williams, CB - Well, we could keep just piling first-round cornerbacks onto the roster until someone sticks. Can play safety as well.

9) Paul Posluszny, LB - Surprise. If he declares. Edged out Hawk for top LB Honors this year.

10) Jay Cutler, QB - Benefit of doubt for two reasons. 1) I think he will show well at the combine, but in no way can overcome what Leinart and Young have done with their accomplishments in the last two years. 2) The fact that Young and Leinart will go in the top 5 means someone will move to take him in the top 10-15 I think. (BTW, just read a whisper that Green might try to get the Vikes to trade Culpepper to the Cards.)

11) LenDale White - Talk about BEASTIN' FOOLS. Now do you guys see what I've been saying? 24 carries, 120 yards, 3 TDs. Add him, THEN ask, what can Brown do for you? Would I want White over Travis Henry? You bet. This is the type of running back Fisher would love to have. He's used to splitting time, and can carry the load if Brown goes down. Relatively low miles on this engine. A no question pick if we trade out of the top 12.

12) Michael Huff, SS - Well, we need a good one, and he'd be my choice right now, if we traded back out of the top 10.

2. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

C'mon. Let me know if you agree or disagree. I wanna see some boards!

3. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

1) D. Ferguson. With the almost certain hole at LT, we need a stud. Unlike most positions, particuarly skill positions, the top offensive linemen almost never bust. He has no history of injuries and is a stalwart in the community off the field. He is also smart and has a ton of room to get better. Our offensive line play was horrible last year and should be a focus again in this draft if we don't address it in FA. Another reason why we might pass on this guy is if we have another OT rated highly. This is a very deep draft at the position and we might be able to grab a diamond in the rough in the second round.

2) A.J. Hawk / Greenwood. Both will be excellent linebackers I think. I love A.J.'s attitude. We definately need to shore up our linebackers as our run defense was horrible last year. It seems to be the consensus that this might be too high to pick them. GM's make this mistake every year though, being almost entirely focused on "value" picks. Don't get caught up in what the draft review people might think. Take a great player at a position that we need.

3) Vince Young. With his performance this year, he has risen to the top of the QB class I think. He definately showed that he is the ultimate competitor coming back from losing the heisman to show up one of the great teams of all time. He also has close ties with Steve McNair. I still have questions about how to fix his horrible delivery motion, but nonetheless, I think it's worth the risk. Another thing is, we have Billy Volek for a few years after McNair leaves, should we choose to pay his options. He has already proven to be a solid QB for us, so I'm not sure it's worth the risk to take another unproven QB at number 3.

4) Michael Huff. This kid can play. If you watched the national championship, you can see this kid's ability on display. He tackled a tight end that outweighs him by at least 40 lbs with one arm. He runs a 4.34. He has no history of injuries and is only going to improve. We are probably going to release Tank Williams and had porous safety play at both spots throughout this year. The hope is that Fuller can come in and fill one of those. This guy could fill the other.

Possible 2nd rounders I would love to see:

1) Jason Allen. This is one reason I wouldn't take Huff. This guy is a beast. He led the SEC in tackles his junior season playing safety. He has all the athletic tools. He was off to an even better start this year before being hurt, which is the only reason I have hope he might slip this far. UT's defense definately took a step backwards when he went down.

2) LenDale White. After the game he had the other night, I doubt he is actually available here, but there is a long way to go yet. Never know what the combine might do.

Also, I think there are several good QB prospects that are being underrated that we could pick in the 4th and 5th rounds since they wouldn't be forced into playing immediately with McNair and/or Volek being here for another 2 or 3 years. I would put Hackney at the top of that list followed by Georgia's QB whose name eludes me atm.

4. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

Good analysis GLinks. I agree with 2008, though, and would flip Bush and Ferguson. Bush may be the better all around prospect, but from a position of need I think if we work on the OL then we are in pretty good shape with Brown and Henry for another season at RB.

2008, the GA QB is DJ Shockley. He would be an interesting late round pick.

5. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

Remember guys: OT is a deep postition this year. We're not in dire need of Ferguson, because there is quality to be had in the 2nd-4th. Just to consider.

I like your list GLinks.

6. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

It may be true that we could get a solid starter at LT in the second round, but when you look at all of the top dominating tackles in the NFL, they were almost exclusively top 10 selections. I think O-Line is without a doubt our largest concern this year. Not only are we losing several starters, they didn't play well this year anyways, which doesn't speak highly for the young backups we have. We won't win more than 4 or 5 games if we have a repeat of no 100 yard rushers.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Think of positions!

Some positions are simply more valuble than others because of their importance and longevity. QBs and OTs are prime right here because they will produce for you for 12-13 years where a runningback will only be good for half that time. Look at eddie and steve. Steve was drafted a year ahead of eddie and he is still playing decent while eddie is 5 years removed from his prime.

I also think that runningbacks are over rated. I know i saw walter payton go the first 9 years of his career without a playoff win. It wasn't until his 11th season that he got the ring. Who is better than him? Barry sanders never made a super bowl and either did earl campbell and eric dickerson. A top notch back will take an average team to the playoffs but can't win in the playoffs. You need, defense, an offensive line and most importantly a QB. In 1994 the colts went to the afc championship without marshall faulk. Was it because faulk sucked? No. In 1980 the oilers won a road playoff in san diego without earl campbell and then got whipped by the steelers in the afc championship with him...

If vince young comes out we will get that top QB prospect. Either young or lienart. If young does not come out and lienart is off the board i think ferguson is the best bet. He and roos will lock up the OT situation for more than a decade. And yes ferguson is a little better prospect than roos was.

We can get a fast olb in later rounds. The colts got david thornton in rd 4 and cato june was a 6th rd pick.

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

fast linebacker - Terna Nande.

9. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

Roos was considered a reach even in the second round. Ferguson would have been a top 5 pick last year had he came out. He is ranked top 5 again this year. He is clearly in a different league potential wise than Roos.

10. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

Yeah, Ferguson is in the perenial Pro-Bowler mold. Roos is looking to be just a very solid OT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar