Time to trade CJ???

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by VA_Titans, Jan 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EB1429

EB1429 Camp Fodder

Why is this even being discussed? Chris Johnson is easily the most talented player on this offensive roster. He still managed to to break a thousand yards despite the fact that every team we've played has done everything they possibly can to limit him. Chris Johnson is all we have got on offense right now. He is our franchise player.

2. VA_Titans

VA_Titans Camp Fodder

I'm not saying we have to trade him ha... I'm just saying , I could see Tennessee doing so if they can build...

But more Bud wants to win now and letting CJ walk isn't going to be helping that

3. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

If he continues to have ridiculous demands regarding his contract again this offseason then I think a trade is definitely possible. But hopefully he'll come off this "history deal" stuff and be reasonable so we can get the deal done. A month ago I would've been all for trading CJ for draft picks/talent to rebuild. Now that Fisher is gone though, we may actually start properly utilizing his unique talent.

Our offense doesn't really need to be "rebuilt", from a personnel standpoint anyway. We have a lot of talent. I feel like our O-line is just one missing piece away from being truly dominant again. That combined with a decent QB and a HC who doesn't have a phobia about throwing the ball and we'd be dangerous. The defense, however, is another story entirely....

4. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

How exactly are his demands ridiculous? I understand that he is open about wanting to be the among richest players ever, but he's also had one of the best 3 year runs to open a career ever.... Pay then man or trade him while he has huge value to a team smart enough to pay him.

5. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

I agree....CJ is asking for more money, and I don't blame him. However, I would remind everyone thinking that CJ is the franchise to remember the 1988 Cowboys deal of Herschel Walker to the Vikings for many draft picks. Walker did fine for the Vikings, but the Cowboys drafted their team of the 90s largely off of that one deal.

CJ's max value is about now (maybe last year)...we should decide whether we pay him what he is worth, then build an offense for him (not Eddie), or whether we try to use his value to fill many other holes the team has.

I would be fine either way. What I don't want is for us to keep trying to run him like he is Eddie George....surest way to end his career in another 2-3 seasons.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

To me, saying you "deserve" to be the highest paid non-QB offensive player in the league 2 years into a 5 year deal is indeed ridiculous. I'm not arguing that he's not underpaid. He definitely is. I just think his demands are a bit unrealistic (at least they were during the last offseason).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar