Time to lay off the young WRs (rant)

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titaneers, Oct 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titaneers

Titaneers Ultimate Player

other than the fact that he's 30 years old and want a lot of money...
    stats don't lie... right, you're comparing a 9 year pro to a sophomore... fair comparison..
    how's this for comparison... DWill has caught as many TDs this season as Gage did his first 2 years...

2. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I see you have a man-crush on Williams. But he did drop several very catchable balls. He was called for holding that negated a big play. It has been published that he struggles with confidence issues. It's not like he's a rookie. He hasn't done much, if anything to warrant as many opportunities as he has been getting.

He may be one of the best WR's we have, but that isn't saying much. That is what the criticism is about. And you are deluded if you think he doesn't deserve a lot of criticism for his performance yesterday.

3. mike75

mike75 Pro Bowler

Gage at this point would be better option than Hawkins or D Will.He would run the right routes,catch the ball and be dependable.Seemed like Washington stepped up his game once he had a better QB here and i think if we got a good dependable veteran in here it would do wonders for our offense because Hasselbeck is good he just needs dependable receivers.I saw Hasselbeck jumping on Hawkins and Williams for not doing things right.

4. Titaneers

out of the young receivers we have.. yes i do like DWill the most because he has the highest ceiling.. won't deny that he drops passes but so does roddy white...that's something he needs to work on... his confidence issue is overplayed... not like he has to take medication for it, he's just a perfectionist.. and he basically is a rookie out there... 2 years in the league, 2 different systems..
    deluded over yesterday's performance? he only played a half... but he did drop a big catch (though i didn't see it because my stream happened to go out at that time)

criticism toward young WRs are unfair as of now.... if he's on his last year of his contract with experience then it's different...

5. Kaeotik

Kaeotik Pro Bowler

Williams, Hawkins and Mariani are not good. Not good at all.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Titaneers

you're going to have to tell me when he did that... i didn't see it at all unless it was after the big DWill drop..
    and we're so critical over DWill and Hawkins.... what about Washington? 1 catch for 10 yards yesterday? only 1 TD this season? he needs to step up..

7. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

Drew Brees makes nobodies into super stars. Tom Brady turns names like Gronkowski and Welker into household names. Peyton manning is the reason you've heard of Pierre Garcon and Blair White.

Sorry, i just don't buy this argument. The talent is out there. Other teams are finding it... and we aren't. We're content with guys like paul williams, lavelle hawkins, figurs, etc etc

8. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I wish Jared Cook wasn't injured.

9. amy

amy Starter

Maybe the whole problem with the team are the scouts. Maybe they don't know a good player from a bad one. Or maybe Bud tells them to hire cheap. Either way, none of them are good at this time. Whether they will improve is anyone's guess. We got lucky with Britt because he was overlooked by most teams.

10. pettso

pettso Starter

Get the f*ck out of here with your interpretation of stats.

Damian Williams has 10 catches, 99yds and 2 TDs for the year (6 games).
    Nate Washington has 399 yds ... and he hasn't been struggling so much that it's obvious to the fans.

As for Williams - 60% of his catches, 66% of his yards and 50% of his touchdowns came against the Steelers - likely in garbage time against a defense playing prevent.

Hawkins is garbage - he will never be a starter in the NFL. He likely won't even be a backup in the NFL again after this year. Williams has another few games to show he can step up but I doubt he'll ever amount to anything either. Mariani I haven't seen play WR but he's pretty slow for a kick returner. How he made it to the pro bowl I have no idea, must have been Donnie Nickey's amazing blocking on special teams.

As for the whole they're only in their 2nd year... good receivers can play well as rookies, let alone 2nd year guys. Look at most of the 1st/2nd round picks of the past few years. WR is not a hard position to play - you learn the playbook (limited one if you're young/new), learn your routes and from there on it's just chemistry with your QB and being on the same page. You can still contribute without even without that being perfect.

The fact that Williams and Hawkins STILL haven't learned the playbook in 2 years (don't say it's changed because it hasn't - we're running the same offense with some tweaks) is laughable. Hasselbeck came in and learned it in a couple of weeks even though it is a complete change from what he'd done in Seattle. No excuse for being stupid.

• High Five High Five x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar