Welcome to goTitans.com! Log in or sign up to be a part of the best Tennessee Titans fan site available.

Tiger to Snow Leopard question

Discussion in 'Gear' started by Creeping-Cruds, Jan 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    • Tip Jar Donor

Creeping-Cruds GIV'R!

Pollard
    Moolah:
    $3,604
    I have to upgrade my Mac Pro Intel from Tiger to Snow Leopard and I'm finding multiple online sources stating that you can actually upgrade Tiger via the $29 Leopard to Snow Leopard disc.
    The dude at The Apple store swore up and down that you must use the $169 Tiger to Snow Leopard box set (w iLife and a bunch of jazz I don't want).
    When I confronted him about the loophole that allows T->SL he said it was definitely not true.
    Anyone with any experience here?
    • Staff / Moderator

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande

Locker
    Moolah:
    $9,485
    • Tip Jar Donor

avvie Ke ali'i o na okole

McNair
    Moolah:
    $1,470
    Leopard is an updated OS; Snow Leopard makes it work with Intel chipsets exclusively. I'm pretty sure you can't make the jump.

The "bunch of stuff you don't want" is selectable in the custom upgrade, as they're not part of the OS itself.
    • Tip Jar Donor

Creeping-Cruds GIV'R!

Pollard
    Moolah:
    $3,604
    I should clarify - a bunch of "stuff I don't want to pay for".
    Tiger to Snow Leopard is indeed available but they want to charge $169.00 for the upgrade, when it is reported that the $29.00 Leopard to Snow Leopard is the very same disc (just doesn't include iLife discs etc.)

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/08/6-things-snow-leopard/
  1. eTitan81 Touchdown Titans

Moolah:
    $0
    I was expecting to read something about Tiger Woods on this thread
  2. Starkiller 9

McNair
    Moolah:
    $11
    The $29 Snow Leopard upgrade should work on any intel Mac regardless of whether it is currently running Tiger or Leopard.

My uncle was paranoid about the same thing on an old iMac but he had no problems upgrading directly from Tiger. And one of my clients did the same on a MacBook Pro.

Just tell them you have Leopard. They lie about not being able to do it from Tiger because it's good for business. It's easier not to have to deal with the gnashing of teeth from the Apple Store employees.

Just be aware that it won't update iLife other than iTunes.
  3. Deuce Wayne Damnit, I cant find my driving moccasins anywhere!

Martin
    Moolah:
    $15,390
    That's a different 'mac' that people pay too much.
    2 people high five this.
    • Tip Jar Donor

McNair
    Moolah:
    $1,470
    Really? Excellent! :yes:

Well, Apple should know that they screwed themselves out of a Logic Studio 9 sale because I wasn't going to pay for BOTH upgrades.
    • Tip Jar Donor

McNair
    Moolah:
    $1,470
    Okay, took your advice and loaded Snow Leopard on my OS X 10.4.11 Tiger machine. Seems to be working just fine so far! Time Machine is backin up mah shizzle.
    • Staff / Moderator

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande

Locker
    Moolah:
    $9,485
    I'm thinking of taking the plunge as well. How's everyone like SL.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.