The NFL sack leader is...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by 2ToneBlueBlood, Dec 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Washburn doesn't want to be a Head Coach.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

If I'm not mistaken, Washburn doesn't want anything more than a defensive line coach position. When Philly first signed him, they made it sound like he's running the defense as a defensive line coach because he didn't want to be a DC.

Of course Babin is playing hard for Washburn. All defensive linemen do. I really don't think Babin wanted to go back to Philly. He just wanted to play for Washburn because he knew he would be motivated, get more production, and make more money.

3. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Babin is a complete liability against the run, any run, buy any RB.

Remember the Miami game last season when they Wildcatted back too back into the hole created by Babin playing smear the quuer

4. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

It still baffles me certain people on here still don't want to give him credit.

• High Five High Five x 2
  5. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

He's good - just not as good as his stats would make you believe... and not worth the money he's getting.

6. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

definitely a product of the system....Washburn could do that with anyone, and pretty much has.

Imagine what he could do with Julius Peppers

7. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

Definitely a system guy, and his tackles are way down from last year, but 18 sacks is 18 sacks and not a lot of guys have been able to do that. Having Trent Cole on the other side definitely helps.

8. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

We could have used him as a situational pass rusher. Jones, ball, Morgan, Hayes &co. are not cutting it as pass rushers when a pass rush is needed.

I understand that he would be overpriced for a situational player, but if all you can do is play the run like our DEs now, I guess they're situational players as well.

Whatever his reason for getting sacks, the fact is that he's getting them and no titans players are getting them. He shouldn't be an every down player anyway. There are a lot of DEs that play wide. I don't see anyone talking poop about Freeney or Mathis. They both got plenty of time this year on the field, as their offense couldn't sustain a drive, and bacon outshined them both.

I didnt like babin as a titan, but I'm not pigheaded enough to say that the titans made the right decision letting him go. People can make all the excuses for it, but there are a lot of wide DEs who couldn't do half of what he did.

9. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

I actually recently saw a good feature on the Wide-9 Technique we used to love so much - sarcasm off course. Im looking for it now, it was on Y!.

Never mind its ESPN, which i know receive a lot of stig, but this feature on the Wide-9 was really accurate (Link Below).

In a nut shell, he's saying how that D makes you team vulnerable to runs. Also, that the system needs the whole team to play well and buy into it. Another good point was how its much more effective when the team is in the lead, preferably big (something we rarely had when we employed it). They commented on how you should have a high powered offense that can score points, or else you'll be in trouble. Give it a watch....I had a lot of problems with the Wide-9, as DE's flew past the play what seemed at least 50% of the time, not even a factor.

This is what I remember when i think Wide-9. the opposing O-Tackle would throw our charging DE even wider (often with ease - actually sometimes he didnt even touch him, no need), with the RB coming up the Tackle's heels following his big man to the 2nd level where he easily gets another block, usually on the outside backer.

Essentially the T has (easily) removed the two guys with the best chance to stop the play for minimal gain. Then i think about KVB running back 15 yards, and the commentator saying good effort.

What he shoulda said was flawed system.

That is what instantly comes to mind when i think Wide-9 (hardly something good like sacks). Maybe it could be effective. But honestly, it should only be used when you got the lead, AT LEAST a TD or more (and towards the end of the game).

Finally, i dont think it should ever be your 'Base-D' as it clearly was for us and as it seems to be for Philly. IMO, it should be the element of your D that replaces prevent (i would love DC Jerry if he would run Wide-9 instead of Prevent). It lets you (generally) rush with four and actually get pressure while still having good pass coverage.

Link - http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:7367296

10. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

But are we THAT much better against the run to justify the downturn in sacks? I say no. I haven't seen stats on it, but I'd guess we're way under last years number. Heck, we gave up 80 yards to Donald Brown on one play.

Our pass rush is terrible. QB's have all day to throw. I'd be interested to see how many more passing yards we've given up because of the lack of a pass rush compared to the amount of yards we've saved playing "better" against the run.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar