The cardinal sin of the running QB..

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by RollTide, Dec 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Carson Palmer has 17 ints. Eli Manning has 17 ints.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

And the point was what sec?

3. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

solution - RUN VINCE RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!! -- not all the time...but def more than 2 yards....

i mean i have been in awe sometimes at his ints........like yesterday...what was he thinking...he threw right at Wilhelm...he was so shocked that it was comin right at him he almost dropped it....even to cromartie ....a very much overthrown pass

personally, vince needs to take more of what the D gives him...he needs to run whenever he thinks he can break a 5-10 yard run (unlesss there is a clear open reciever)...if opponents are more worried bout his scrambling abilities, there will be more room for passing. i think he is so worried as being labeled a 'vick' taht he is tryin to copy mannings game and he simply cant do it...i mean sometimes i find myself saying run run run during the play...and i think i can see hiim thinking that...but he's so hesitant to do it...that either he tries a pass or takes off when it is too late.

i feel bad for him though; i really do....when he ran too much ppl criticized...now he's passing more and honoslty our recivers are at as much blame as he is...they are dropping passes all over the field (endzone included..multiple times...even in a single game!!!)

regardless of vince's play our offensive woes are just a big a fault of our receivers...possibly more so

4. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

I'm just saying that he's in good company I guess. Those are both round 1 picks. They both have more experience than Young. They both have more interceptions than Young.

if a stat had a face it would look like this.

[​IMG]

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

SEC doing the bong hits again?..:rolleyes:

My stats are relative to pass attempts. Note pass attempts per int? Vince has one int per 19 pass attempts. Manning and palmer are having bad seasons but they throw a lot more passes than vince.

Pass attempts per int in 07..

Palmer 29
    Manning 25
    Young 19

If young threw ints at the rate palmer has thrown this year he would have 11 ints.

6. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

Yeah. I see that. Isn't that just to illustrate that he throws too many damn interceptions? Yeah, I get that. Believe it or not everyone that reads this forum is a complete moron. I'm just saying that there are guys with more experience playing for playoff teams who have thrown more interceptions than Vince this season. Vince still turns over the ball too much. Just like the two first taken qb's I cited. Maybe I've got a meaningless correlation of my own.

7. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

I certainly don't disagree with RollTide's point, but I think it's somewhat unfair to just count the number of interceptions and blame them all on the QB. Vince has had numerous interceptions that are the result of bad WR/TE play. When WRs tip passes right to CBs, run the wrong route or fail to get any kind of separation, INTs happen. These are (somewhat) excusable.

What really worries me is that he continues to regularly throw the ball right to defenders when there is absolutely no reason to. It is these INTs that have to stop.

The less Vince runs, the more teams are going to force him to pass. This will make it very hard for him to develop as a passer, which seems to be what he is trying to do.

I think the answer is that he needs to run the ball in order to be able to develop as a passer.

8. ncaalover12

ncaalover12 Starter

Fire Norm Chow, change the offense into a spread offense and the problem is solved. :)

9. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Before we drafted Young the concern many, including myself had was if Young could be an effective passer in the NFL and so far it is obvious he is not. Adding to that concern now is Young isn't doing squat with his legs. I was concerned anyway even after last year if Young could hold up and maintain his spectacular play with his legs when he was 5+ years in the league. Now I'm concerned that Young might already be showing issues. Not only is he not making big plays with his legs but he is also getting injured. What are we going to be left with, a guy who can't run or throw?

The stats don't lie. Young is pretty pathetic passing the ball. Like every NFL QB Young is going to have some good games but Young has yet to prove he can be consistent. As Tide pointed out, those comparisons are made to guys like McNabb because THAT IS WHAT WE EXPECT THE #3 PICK IN THE DRAFT TO BE. Now to boot Young seems to have lost all his pocket awareness. I mean the guy doesn't seem to have a clue of how to step around the pocket and avoid the rush while still looking for open WRs (which believe it or not are out there). To add insult even more Young doesn't seem to have decent peripheral vision. A guy like Manning can stand in the pocket looking straight at the goal posts and still spot Addai in the left flat uncovered for an easy TD. Young apparently has to turn his whole head and stare down the WR. Not that it matters if he is looking straight at the WR because he will still throw the ball when a LB is standing between him and the WR.

I'm not ready to completely call Young a waste quite yet but as TitanJeff said, until Young starts playing like good NFL QB this team isn't going anywhere. To be a good to great team you have to have a QB who can get you a win even when the other parts of the team aren't playing well. Instead we have a QB who is more inclined this year to lose the game.

10. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

Man I would love to see a spread offense...

but that goes beyond Chow...

Fisher and Spread Offense go together about like Gloat and SEC football do

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar