The Business of NFL Football- Titans Style

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Tungtide, Apr 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

I was leading the band in the Mathews must go parade.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Is it part of the job for players to be leaders on the team? How about these volunteer workouts? How about visiting hospitals and schools to better the community? How about playing hurt on gameday? How about wanting to win?

That stuff cuts both ways.

No business I know of survives for a long time without doing good business. Sure, cuts are made during tough times but how that is handled can go a long way towards how those still working for you perform.

3. Tungtide

Tungtide Just Another Freak

Part of my issue is also with how McNair and Buss have handled this. Until now Steve has always been willing to adjust his contract for the team. This argument is about who is our future QB. In the grand scheme even Steve must know he is in the twilight of his career. Two, maybe three years left. But if he truly thinks he still has it then he should deal again and prove it with the team come training camp. Until now this has been his team to lose.
    My issue has been that the Titans handled this situation as poorly as how they handled Eddy George. Now I agree that Eddy wasn't setting the world on fire but neither has Brown or Henry- and what we lost in Eddy George as a leader on this squad may be much greater than the yardage he might have gained. A real dialog between Floyd, Steve and Buss could've made this process easier for all and perhaps the "bad form" I mentioned earlier could have been avoided.
    Let me clarify for those that might have misunderstood me- I admit that as a fan I have some growing to do to get used to a process that fans in other pro sports cities have already learned.

4. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

This I can get on board with.

5. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Agreed. However, overpaying an underperforming player can also be divisive and detrimental to morale in the same line of argument. Allowing the "tail to wag the dog" is not good business. Paying McNair for all the games he didn't start or finish, the practices he didn't attend or the bonehead mistakes he made in the past is the counter to all the dedication and hard work he did give. McNair has received generously from the Titans for his "intangible" contributions.

Personally, I would have preferred a more direct line of communication with Steve. Truth is, none of us will ever know if this did or didn't occur or know what the context of any (if any) dialogue that occurred. I do know that if he wants to be Titan he'll need to take a pay cut and even that won't guarantee him a locker next year.

6. Ratt1118

Ratt1118 Camp Fodder

Excellent observation...

TJ
    I could not agree more. Very well said.

I think the fans just believe anything that is shoved in their faces. Anyone with some common sense can see that the Titans organization has made some bonehead moves, with this McNair thing being another chapter.

Now, the true test will be how the "new" class of free agents are handled after the grades on their performance are out...

If they are mishandled or treated poorly, well, that in of itself will send a clear message out to any other free agent looking to come to Tennessee......

Only time will tell:hmm:

Its already bad enough with them attempting to get it together to draft the right guys for this franchise....because if they screw this draft up, it will set this franchise back a few years.. and I dont feel ole Floyd has had some good drafts in a while...The jury is STILL out on all the draft classes from 2003 until present..

Just ask the Bengals organization what can happen if you are doing BAD business..:sad2:

7. Riverman

I'm assuming you're including yourself since you appear to be a fan.

8. Ratt1118

Ratt1118 Camp Fodder

Ha!!

Whatever dude...Obviously you took some offense to it...And if it did not offend you, you would not have tried to include me in my own statement...I mean really, your sarcasm is childish

I am not pointing fingers at anyone, but if you want to clump yourself into my statement, knock yourself out...:ha:

And yes sonny, I have been a Titans fan since the team moved to Tenn. That is what this site is for, the opinions of the FAN...Hello?

And Lastly...
    You should Never assume anything...you only make a buffoon of yourself trying to defend something that is only conjecture since no one on this site is the owners of the Titans or any other NFL team..

You need to lighten up dude...

9. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

For You Laserjock...

[​IMG]
    goTitans.com needs your support!!! :greedy: $$$:brow:
    Click the Vince Young Movement signiture graphic to see how you can help!:lol3:

10. Riverman

I'm not offended by your opinion, only the thought process demonstrated by your statement. It is egocentric to state "I think the fans just believe anything that is shoved in their faces" without realizing you yourself are subject to the same biases as anyone else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar