Tennessee UFAs to be

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Jan 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Treadhead6

Treadhead6 Peanut Gallery

Unfortunately, the franchise front office is still gun-shy from what happened with the Titans and the salary cap just a few short years ago. After the tantalizingly close runs of 1999 and 2000, several players repeatedly restructured their contracts in an attempt to keep the team together. The end results were no championships and wholesale slaughter of the roster (due to salary cap issues) after the 2003 season. Over the same time period, teams like the Patriots and Colts proved capable of replacing players who departed during free agency AND keeping themselves well structured under the cap. I'd be certain Mike Reinfeldt (who was an awesome free safety for the Oilers - '79 the guy had 15 interceptions!) wants to manage the Titans according to the proven template of the Patriots or Colts. This is why the Titans are more likely to let a UFA go rather than risk losing cap space later - cap space that would be better served to bring in fresh talent to build within the system.

All that being said, I would love to see the Titans re-sign Collins, Haynesworth, Scaife, Carr, Bironas, Fuller, and Jones. I'd also love to see them bring in a proven, "team-first" WR like TJ Housh. What I would love and reality are unlikely to meet however. Here's what I forecast:

Re-signs with Titans: Collins, Bironas, Carr

Say goodbye to: Haynesworth, Scaife, Jones, Fuller

Impact free agents signed: zero

I hope I'm wrong though. If the Titans could bring back the exact same starting line-up on both sides of the ball for 2009 it would result in, perhaps, the greatest team ever suited up by the franchise. That's just my opinion of course.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Thanks!

So really, there are very limited excuses for not either pursuing AH with a large contract, or another FA if deemed worthy.

3. KY_Titans7

KY_Titans7 Guest

We defiantly need to keep Big Al, Kerry Collins, Fuller, Rob Bironas, Scaife, and Carr.

If we can resign Jones for a reasonable price then I would sign him as well.

4. TitanicDane

TitanicDane Boozer extraordinaire

If Albert goes to free agency, which i have a feeling he will. I sure hope we can get another big body guy to take his place in the middle of that line on run downs. Brown and Jones are both under 300lbs guys right?

5. Bobo

Bobo Guest

I bet Vickerson weighs close to what Al does. That dude is freakin huge. Can't be the 305 he's listed at. But getting it done isn't just about size.

6. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

I think AH is done. We all know someone is going to offer him more money even if we do have good cap space. I see Scaife, Bironas, and Carr coming back. Jones, J-Mac, Fuller, and the others are gone. I'm still unsure of Collins. I personally don't think he can have a better season next year so I'm sort of ready for the QB of the future whoever that might be.

7. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

09 would be extremely poor timing for QB experiments

8. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

Collins at the right price
    Haynesworth regardless
    Scaife long term
    Bironas at the right price (Top 5 kicker value)
    Fuller for sure
    Carr is great on special teams, and he wants to come back, Id love to see him signed

9. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

Believe it or not, I'm not hell bent on selling the farm for Haynesworth. He rarely completes a three game stretch without at least a minor injury that has him taken out of the game, and our D-Line looked very young and deep without him at times this year. Considering he'll be making more money then any DT ever, regardless of what jersey he has on next year, I would suggest our FO take a long look at things and really evaluate this teams need to pay AH 10 mil next year. I want him back, don't get me wrong, but is it worth missing out on the cap space to upgrade other positions (WR, TE, RB, DB, LB come to mind) this year and in the future?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar