Tennessean: Titans miss right passer twice

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by dbc5631, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeronimoJackson

GeronimoJackson Brainwashed by the Left. Now I am free.

No, you're right, my friend misinformed me about that. Bu the front office dug themselves in a hole by asking him to restructure his contract year after year, and he did it every time to get the team under the cap but at the end of the day it left us with one big mofo bill.

So here are your scenarios:

1. We wanted him but his bill was too high and expected him to restructure again and the one time he wouldn't right off the bat, we gave him an ugly ultimatum, which wasn't the route to go as that decision destroyed any chances of future negotiating. Keep in mind they didn't just ban him, they sent out a trainer to tell him. A trainer to play messenger? Seriously? Punk move.

2. We were playing "wait and see" with McNair and seeing how he missed 10 games in in his final two seasons, we didn't think he was worth his salary, (which I don't argue with) and considered him expendable and would only keep him on our terms and our terms only. The 50 mil bonus did exactly that, bought time.

3. From the very beginning, when they first started restructuring, we two-faced him and never planned to pay the cap hit or the 50 mil option (even though it was unrealistic to begin with), or make any kind of fair effort to keep him. The 50 mil bonus just to buy time, and if he became expendable, it was PEACE!

Now you can actually incorporate all those together but regardless, Vince was not expected to start his rookie year, and outside the front office, everyone was given the impression McNair was in our plans for the 06 season.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

True. But your option is to blow up the team and, because the Titans were close, Reese mortgaged the future by restructuring a number of players to keep them together longer. If the Titans move on and win a Super Bowl, Reese is a visionary. They didn't so he's now the scapegoat for risking the team's future.

Nope. He had a $10 mil bonus worked into his contract which was designed to do exactly what it did -- bring both sides to the table and either give McNair an extension, trade him or release him.

As for how it was handled, it was ugly. But we don't know how much Bus Cook was involved in setting it up to put pressure on the team to extend his client. And remember, the Titans were still tight with the cap. Rumors were that if they kept McNair at his current deal, they wouldn't have the cap room to sign their draft picks.

McNair wanted one more payday and I don't blame him. The Titans knew he had maybe one or two seasons left. McNair wanted a longer deal. It's business. The Ravens gave him a five-year deal worth up to $32 mil with a $11 mil SB. They had the room to roll the dice.

You really need to understand how restructuring works. They gave McNair his yearly base salary as a bonus. That's upfront cash money. Anyone would rather get a check for $1 mil today instead of getting it over the span of a season. This was a GOOD thing for McNair and allowed the team to spread that money over the life of his contract, thus, freeing up some cap room.

As I said before, the bonus was put in to force negotiations. McNair agreed to it knowing the result might be his trade or release when that bonus was due.

No. McNair knew he had one more contract in him and wanted longer than the short-term deal the Titans were willing to pay. I don't blame either side for their position but McNair wasn't willing to play for less than what he thought his value to be. The lock-out was after quite a bit of negotiations had occurred and the two sides were at a stalemate.

• High Five High Five x 3
  3. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

What comments are those? And you think you add something to these threads? lol

When's the last time you actually talked football and just didn't try to be cute?

• High Five High Five x 3
  4. GeronimoJackson

GeronimoJackson Brainwashed by the Left. Now I am free.

I don't disagree, not here to chew out Reese because of his "do or die" decision and betting all his chips, I was simply stating restructuring McNair's contract year after year ultimately created this mess and that is a fact.

No what? I never said the two sides didn't talk before the lock-out. Yes, things stalled, but it's simple: The lock-out is what killed it, any future negotiating were kissed bye-bye after that. I'll give you that one on Bus, he's an agent, of course he's gonna look out for himself, and like I said, parting ways at the end was the right business decision, I never disagreed about that. Because you're absolutely right about not being able to sign their picks. It was dragging out, but McNair did not want to leave, and ultimately would have come to an agreement. But REGARDLESS of any contract conflict or endings 1 through 3, there's nothing to be reasonable about the way it was handled, it was a punk move, no if's or but's about it. Sending a trainer to tell him he was banned? Common man, it doesn't get much lower than that. But hey, a fruit basket and card saying he wasn't allowed but thanks for your time beforehand would have been justifiable. <---- Sarcasm Alert

You need to not misunderstand me. I was referring to his 50 mil option, yeah it was unrealistic but what I was implying is simple: They knew all that restructuring would pile up a big bill later, and they never had any intentions of paying the hit, honoring his contract, or negotiating anything, and it was gonna be "their way or the highway". Am I saying that was their agenda? No. Am I saying it's possible? Yes. If you look at my other posts, you'll know I'm not the biased type, but McNair was the reason why I started watching football, so yeah, you might not like it, but I'm gonna use words like "two-faced" and "booted", because it did hit me personally the way things turned out.

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

McNair was one of many players he did that with. It's easy to be critical of that in hindsight but when a team is one or two players away, it's hard to tell your aging owner you want to blow it up. McNair was able to stay another couple of seasons after Rolle, Mason, Kearse and George parted ways in the cap purge.

You know this how? I don't think it was going to resolve unless the Titans gave him a long-term deal. The length of the contract was a big difference in that negotiation. McNair would have played for the Titans if he was willing to accept a two-year deal. He didn't.

The restructure had nothing to do with the amount of the bonus. The bonus was a tool BOTH SIDES agreed to to do exactly what it did. When the Titans added it, they had no intention in paying it and McNair knew he never would see it. He did get a $6 mil signing bonus for agreeing to the extension. Here are the details of the extension:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/peter_king/03/26/king.mmqb/index.html

Both sides played it safe in '04. The Titans knew they could extend McNair in '06 if he was relatively healthy and still playing at a high level. McNair knew he would get one more big payday or hit the market. Thing is, McNair was in a clear decline by '06.

I just don't see how the '04 deal was anything but solid for both sides. It just ended ugly and, for all us McNair fans, we wanted him to end like Elway.

6. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I know I've had this conversation 1000s of times with members on here, and it seems almost everyone just wants to blame Bus Cook...

But we had a lot of time and options to figure out what to do with McNair. He did deserve a better exit. It should NEVER have gotten to the point where he was locked out. He should've been re-signed or dealt well before then.

We do not have a good history in getting value when we trade our players away. Look at Volek, we publicly ruined him before he was gone. Look at VY, we've announced we will trade or release him... anyone think that helps his value?

Since we are going through sweeping changes, I hope we get a coach/gm/someone to advise Bud to stay quiet about these things, make decisions on what you are going to do with players earlier, and try to maximize trade value for our players when we do deal them.

7. TitansBlue

TitansBlue Camp Fodder

Okay, issue with the writer on his article.

Cutler I get.

"Missing on" Rodgers though is a bit more of a stretch considering the team's situation at the time of that draft.

8. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

was rodgers good in college? what # did he go in the draft?

9. TitansBlue

TitansBlue Camp Fodder

here this might help

[​IMG]

10. TitansBlue

TitansBlue Camp Fodder

24th

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar