Talk Defense

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Alex1939, Jul 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

How is our defense going to be good? If a whole lot of assumptions pan out for the offense (CJ doesn't hold out and is awesome, Britt isn't suspended and is awesome, Jared Cook blossoms and is awesome, we make O-line adjustments and is awesome) then the O will be good.

How is our D going to be good? Are we banking on all of our prior players to break out and/or turnaround their careers (Hope). I'm a lot more concerned about the defense and need help understanding why I should think they will be good and keep us in contention.

Asomugha/Finnegan sounds pretty good. As does Barrett Ruud or Nick Barnett. If the "talk" of contending now is at all serious I think we have to add better players to the defense.

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I honestly think you are kidding yourself if you think the Tennessee Titans will contend.

3. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I don't but some others are saying that and even the talking heads with the signing of Hasselbeck.

I think our O can contend (if CJ is there), but I don't think our D can. I expect below 8 wins this year.

4. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Any talk of contending is ridiculous.

This is a rebuilding year, a chance to see how the young guys look. I agree that the defense probably won't be too good, but why spend money (and probably overpay) on a bunch of B+ veterans when the Titans are better off seeing if any of their young players will step up and be a good fit for Gray's scheme?

I have faith that Finnegan and Verner/McCorty can be a very effective starting CB duo.

I still have faith that Derrick Morgan will be solid.

I have less faith, but still some, that Ayers and McCarthy can form the basis of a good linebacking corps for years to come.

I guess I'm being a bit of a homer, but every team is 0-0 right now. Why not be somewhat optimistic?

5. Blue Gorilla

Blue Gorilla will play Safety for food

We won't contend this year, most likely. As a fan, I will be there cheering for us to win every single game, up through Week 17, even if we're 1-14 at that point. I'm optimistic in that sense. But thinking realistically, I don't see it. I agree that our offense could shape up to be Top 20 to Top 15, but the defense will need work.

What killed us a lot last season was the lack of a 3rd Down defense. That needs to be fixed. I think we have some young guys that will mature into good players, but I don't think we see that translate into success in the W-L column this season.

I think we are the cellar of the division at this point.

6. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I have to agree, don't see us as a Super Bowl contending team. This is a re-build year.

I'd like to see Verner became a legit #2 CB next to Finny. I also hope one of our young LBs (McRath, Ayers, McCarthy, or Curran) to develop big time. Derrick Morgan needs to come back and dominate. Jason Jones needs to stay healthy, and hopefully Casey is solid as well.

I wish we'd just cut Hope and let Rolle, Schommer, and Johnson battle for the starting SS spot. If they don't work out draft a SS next year in the 1st or 2nd round, or go for a FA next year.

7. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

a lot of fans think when the Titans take to the field they will surprise everyone and be ballin! But i think they pick up where they left off for the first 6 weeks or so. things are gonna be ugly out there. Munchak will need some time to tune everything. the players will need time to adjust to each other and the coaches.

8. TNTitans58

TNTitans58 Rookie

So what does the depth chart on D look like right now? I understand we'll probably sign a few FA's, but let's look at it

DE- Morgan, Hayes
    DT- Jones, Marks, Haye, Casey
    MLB- ???
    OLB- Witherspoon, McRath, Ayers
    CB- Finny, Verner, McCourty
    SS- Hope
    FS- Griffin

Not gonna lie guys....if we don't make some major moves in FA our defense is gonna be in the bottom 5 of the league easy

9. Blue Gorilla

Blue Gorilla will play Safety for food

That is ugly... maybe we can re-sign Jacob Ford and play him with Morgan. Zach Clayton and Klug could contend for a roster spot, and I think our coaching staff likes them.

I don't mind our corners. But we could use some major help at MLB (obviously) and SS. Re-signing Tulloch at this point would make me happy. Or signing Ruud, but I don't think that happens.

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

So do I and at this point I'm happy to see what the guys we drafted can do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar