Still not sold on mariota

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by wycheck28, Sep 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MariGOATa

MariGOATa Starter

Wich is why saying Mariota isnt nearly as responsible for team success is stupid.

If you think a defense that was ranked at the bottom of the league for most yards allowed in the air had an impact more on our teams success vs a guy that was 41-41 in the redzone and threw 26-9 TD-INT ratio, than Id think your crazy.

Our defense was so bad that we let Brock Osweiler have one of the best games of his 2016 campaign vs us. Our defense was so bad that we let a bench warmer Bears' QB almost beat us. Lmfao.

You're going back to the Broncos and the Chiefs game to your argument of our defense, but both of those two teams arent a top 10 offense in the league. Please show me a game last year that we faced a very good offense and we shut them down? I'll wait. You're probably going to go and tell us it was the Detriot Lions.

The fact of the matter is, everytime we faced a QB with an arm, no matter how bad their accuracy was we always choked and got burned.

2. MariGOATa

MariGOATa Starter

And the argument cant be used on Mariota, beacause Mariota lead us to a FG on the last drive to beat the Chiefs.

Hows that even a defensive win?

3. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

The Titans were 14th in points scored per game and 16th in points allowed. You keep speaking as if there was a huge difference between the performance of the two, and there wasn't. Nitpick all you want.

Because if the defense was anywhere close to as bad as you claim, they wouldn't have allowed only 17 points and held KC to a 3 with 2 minutes left to give the offense that last possession.

4. MariGOATa

MariGOATa Starter

Those stats are misleading. No way we are even ranked top 15 in passing allowed. We were one of the worst teams giving up big plays to QBs on 3rd and longs. And couldnt even get off the field to allow our offense to finish off the game. You can let your stats lead to your opinion, I ll let my eye test tell me that our defense wasnt nearly as good as the stats suggest. Each to its own.

5. MariGOATa

MariGOATa Starter

Also ranking a defense this way is much more accurate than your stat sheet

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2016/opp.htm

We were #17 team defense, but we were #30
    on passing defense, wich proves my point that everytime we faced a QB with an arm we got burned. Every time.

Overall defense isnt the way you really measure a defense, even though thats how they do it but it isnt nearly as accurate. If you go by the way your grading defense than your also agreeing that we were a better defense than Jacksonville last year, wich it isnt even close to being true.

You could be a good defense and not be in a top 10. A good defense does enough to create turnovers and bring the ball back to the offense. How many takewayd did we have last year on defense? Zero. Chiefs arent a monster defense either but they are a defense that create s alot of turnovers wich makes em pretty damn good.

#335 MariGOATa, Sep 15, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  6. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

At the end of the day, the number of points on the board are what matters. Nothing else.

And we are clearly tied for 16th. I'm not sure why you keep choosing to make up rankings to make the defense appear to be worse than they actually were.

7. MariGOATa

MariGOATa Starter

I am not making anything up. I just provided you the stat-sheet per PPF. We were the leagues worst passing defense last year. If you want to judge defenses on overall go ahead, but thats not neccesarily accurate. I guess New England was the best defense last year if were going by that. Lol. Whatever man. Im not ****ting on the defense I am just saying we arent elite defense. Our run defense is the only thing that I am really impressed with. Overall our defense isnt nearly close to being as good.

8. 8isGreat

8isGreat Starter Tip Jar Donor

Here is a big can of STFU for those of you that think Mariota can't make the big throws!...

...those of you are obviously not watching the same game(s) I am.

Throws don't get more impressive than that!

9. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

You can't just pick one great sideline throw while omitting many bad ones and use it as proof that he's good at it.

It was a great throw, he gave his guy a chance. I'm not saying he has to hit every one of them, but he needs to throw accurate balls to the sides of the field with much more consistency. Half of the time, the throws are so off that it looks like he and the WR are on completely different pages about where the route was supposed to end.

If he can't push anything to the sideline other than the sub-10 yard throw to a guy who is standing still, teams can just camp out in the middle of the field, which will hinder the run game as well.

10. SuperMariota

SuperMariota Starter

I also think if you were being fair you would say it was week one and he hadn't played one quarter with a couple of those receivers he was throwing to the sideline to. More than a majority of those passes were to Davis and Decker. The timing was off and the receivers were confused and weren't in the right places

How much biatching did Mariota do after the game? Give the guy a break. Don't think I don't see what you are saying. I touched on it the earlier part of this thread. He needs work but so does the whole team. Keep it in perspective and know that it's just week one and sometimes this is to be expected.

Until he gets a different coach in the right system. You all who doubt will continue to doubt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar