Stats on play calling vs. Vikes

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans2004, Sep 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

For what it is worth...we had 28 1st down plays in the game. We ran the ball 11 times and passed 17 times. These numbers get skewed when we fall behind. In the first half we had 14 1st down plays and the breakdown was 7 runs/7 passes.

I consider a successful first down play to be a play that gains 4 or more yds. In the 1st half 5 of our 7 runs on 1st down were successful. Only 3 of our 7 passes were successful. In the 2nd half only 1 of our 4 runs on 1st down were successful while 6 of 10 passes were successful. Not sure whether this difference between running success on 1st down was related to a defensive scheme change or not.

So for the game 15 of our 28 1st down plays went for 4 yds or more. That is a pretty good job of staying ahead of the chains.

One thing that can really help your offense is to be in 2nd and 6yds or less situations...the playbook is open to everything in that situation. We had 24 2nd down plays in the game and on 13 of them we had 6 or less yds to go. So over 50% of the time we were staying ahead of the chains. I decided to randomly check the stats on the Patriots because I figured they would set themselves up for decent down and distance on 2nd down....well they only had 6 or less yds to go on 2nd down 6 of 22 times.

The offense did a pretty efficient job against a tough Vikings defense. Will be interesting to see what happens against the Lions this week

• Informative Informative x 9
    • High Five High Five x 5
  2. PRAY IV M3RCY

PRAY IV M3RCY Pro Bowler

Thank you for taking the time to actually investigate how we performed Sunday instead of summing up how we played based on an instant reaction to a couple of bad plays.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 6
    • High Five High Five x 1
    • Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  3. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

Hopefully that all adds up to a couple of wins this year. Unfortunately, for as many stats we can look at to say Tennessee had a good game (I think they did ok), we didn't see the positive in the most important column, W.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
  4. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I consider a successful game one in which we score more than the other team.

On sunday we scored 16 points and the Vikings scored 25.

Seriously, stats are great but we can have them saying nearly anything we want them to say. People who are "reacting" to a few bad plays aren't reacting to the plays as much as the effect on the outcome of the game. So if we're keeping it real, let's keep it real.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 4
    • LOL LOL x 1
  5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Vikings didnt do much to win that game, we gave it away.

It was a productive day minus the turnovers, i was very pleased with how well they moved the ball the first 2 1/2 quarters. Last year that wasnt happening..

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 5
    • High Five High Five x 1
  6. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Turnovers are the key. Our offense gave up a few and our defense didn't create any. When you lose the turnover battle you're likely to lose the game (the stat is like +80% or something crazy)

• High Five High Five x 2
  7. SanDiegoTitan

SanDiegoTitan Starter

Our first half was the best TEAM performance I have seen in over two years. Was very pleased. Mariota looked a little shaky, but overall we played sound team ball. Second half we tried to get too cute. Hopefully Mularkey/Robiskie dump a few of those cute plays and stick with the pound em and let Mariota pick them apart. Remember,both our RBs and both our WRs are new. First game with them and Mariota together. D played well, shut down AP.

We have a long way to go... but I am not panicking like many on this board.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Roscoes Wetsuit

Roscoes Wetsuit Pro Bowler

And that's the problem some of us have this team.

We can win on the stat sheet but for some reason lose on what matters.

We've been a team of morale victories for a decade. Rather win looking like **** than lose with potential for next week.

• High Five High Five x 3
    • LOL LOL x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  9. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

Yeah we need to start actually closing games. This is getting ridiculous.

• High Five High Five x 2
  10. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

3-20 .130 at home over last 23 home games ....

• LOL LOL x 1
    • WTF?! WTF?! x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar