Sony TV problem.

Discussion in 'Gear' started by Ryan, Dec 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryan

Ryan FREE WILLY!!!

Ok well my uncle just got a brand new big screen and gave us his old one. Its a Sony im not really sure what model it is or anything all I know is its a projection screen or something like that. Ok well the problem is we turn the thing on and it looks like its in 3d. Theres like a red and blue mask over the whole screen. Now my first thought was "Hah so thats why you got rid of it" But then I remembered I was just over there the other day and it was fine. So then he says you have to go into some type of menu and hit flash focus to fix it so I do it and its still messed up. Then he says you have to manually move it around with the nob on the remote. So thats where I'm lost. Theres something called convergence where theres a bunch of plus signs and you can move around them with the remote. Most of them are white besides the part of the tv that looks red and blue. Its in the upper left corner and bottom right. Thats where its the worst the middle seems to be fine so it just has to be something thats out of tune or something that can be fixed easily but Im just too retarded to do it. So does anyone have any idea on what to do? If not he is just going to have to come here and do it.

I want to see Madden on this thing and if its going to be messed up then screw it I'm going back to the 40 inch :)

2. Could be that one of the guns is out of alignment.

3. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

older CRT projection sets use 3 separate guns (red ,green,blue) to make white
    if the set looked fine the other day and it doesn't now, it leads me to believe that it may have been handled improperly during the move

it's need "Convergence"
    if the cross marks in the convergence menu are white, then you're good. if any of the "intersections are red or blue then you will need to adjust those - put your cursor over the section and move up or down with your remote key ... you'll notice the color band move with you ... the goal is to make it white

if the Flash Focus and the Convergence are not working, you may want to pop off the screen and check to see that the guns are seated properly --- UNPLUG THE TV BEFORE DOING THIS----- while it's off, you may want to take some glass cleaner to the deflection mirror and very carefully to each gun - you'll be surprised how well that clears things up (especially if he was a smoker)

4. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

you're on the right track
    just adjust the points and make sure all the 'crosses' are white before exiting

5. Ryan

Ryan FREE WILLY!!!

I have done everything possibly to these dang things and they wont change colors. I go into convergence and use the nob on the remote and go to the red and blue ones and click on them and it does nothing. The outline goes from yellow then red then blue and thats it. I cant even move anything while I have one clicked

6. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

sounds like the guns got jostled around when it was moved
    did you take off the screen ?

7. A Fightin'Titan

A Fightin'Titan Starter

Ha. Have fun I had to replace a screen once and it wasn't pretty. Maybe just because I had the impression that it would be to take out a few screws then voila .... the screen is out, but after about 40 screws in some very awkward positions, some prying and manuevering and "screen" which was actually three separate screens popped out. Then I had to piece it back together. Finished it fine and like I said maybe my model was just one of a kind but don't expect it to be simple.

8. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

I took the screen off a Toshiba DLP several times
    it consisted of about 10 screws
    the screen(s) were all 'sandwhiched' together so they did not separate

yes there are multiple 'sheets' to the screen
    most have a protective outer layer, a contrast screen, and a matte

the process varies by manufacturer

Ryan's problem doesn't sound like it can be solved by convergence, either he's not doing something right, or there is some physical issue with the CRT's.... the only way to see if the guns are dislodged is to look inside

9. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

yellow? ... it should not be yellow ... it should be white

10. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

Sounds like time for a service call.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar