Some positives on the season

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titans1839, Dec 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titans1839

titans1839 Starter

We all know that this season has been a big disappointment after the way we started and the hope we had after free agency/draft. As it has been brutal to watch, I feel as it there are some positives we do not need to forget as we are just about done with this season and look forward to next.

1. Our defense- They have played night and day better than they have last season. Verner and Casey have become pro bowl players and we can all agree we need to sign them to contract extensions asap. Gregg Williams has done a great job coaching this defense and will be surprised if he does not take over as full time d coordinator this off season. We also have played with more aggression and determination that we have not shown in years. Thanks Pollard.

2. Youth- Our young guys have shown great promise. Wright and Hunter could be a deadly combo for years to come. Schwenke and Warmack could has well. They both have had bad plays and need work, but the potential is there. Same on the other side of the ball. Brown and Edwards have looked good to me as well. Brown has taken a small step backward this year, but he looks like a future star for us.

3. Chris Johnson- I know I will probably get bashed for this, but he has looked a lot better over the past 5 weeks. He has been running harder and more decisive. Could have something to do with Schwenke. Either way, I do not see a way we can cut him this offseason. His salary goes down to 8 million and we know what we get from him: doesn't get hurt, hardly fumbles, and can go the distance every time he touched the ball. The two complaints about him: He cant get any yards and we can get someone that does the same. Look past the numbers. First, why we continue to run up the middle boggles my mind since he has never been able to run through people, but there are not any holes for him anyway. It wouldn't matter if we have Adrian Peterson and Barry Sanders running it, no one is running well for us right now. Check the film, where is he supposed to go? I think a big problem is the tackles not being able to move at all anymore. Second, after an "awful" season he is having, he still is 12th in the league in rushing. Who can we reasonably get to replace him? Here is the top 15: AP, McCoy, Charles, Morris, Forte, Lynch, Bush, Moreno, Lacy, Gore, Mathews, CJ, Murray, Stacy, and Spiller. There is no way we can get any of theses guys. Over the past 5 weeks (Schwenke) he has been top 7. Top FA: MJD, McFadden, Tate, and Mendenhall. All guys that would cost only a bit under CJ and get hurt more often. Cant waste a top pick because we have too many other needs. CJ has to stay another year. There is no alternative that makes sense.

This season has not gone to plan, but we are still close. Depending on these last 4 games, we will know what happens with munch. From the players side, we have options.

Locker is a big mystery. No way we pick up his option. I can see us taking a QB between rounds 2-6 to back him up. They can step in if Locker gets hurt again. Maybe Murray or Mettenberger in the later rounds now they are hurt, but still have big upside. I am a big fan of them as well as McCarron and Carr. Just say NO to Manziel.

Cutting Stewart and Wimbley will save us 8.8 million dollars next year and 11.7 over the next 2.
    Plus we have good cap space to be able to re sign Pollard, Pitoitua, D. Williams, Verner, and hopefully Mariani for cheap. There are decent OT and DE free agents and another draft. Webster has proven that he is very capable of drafting well. Maybe I am drinking too much cool aid, but I still see a bright future for us. Just getting really tired of waiting and making excuses.

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

Thank you for this. It is a positive yet relaistic assessment. That being said prepare to be flamed by all the CJ haters/burn it all down mob.

3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

1. Jurrell Casey
    2. Kendall Wright

That's it.

4. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

I like what you said but disagree about CJ. His problem is he just doesn't make people miss anymore and goes down the first time he's hit. He still has the speed but dances way too much looking for the big play instead of taking what he's given.

However I completely agree that we need to take a QB in this draft and I love your suggestion of taking Aaron Murray. As a UT fan I hate him, but he reminds me SO much of Locker. Their playing style is very similar and we need a backup QB who isn't a turnover machine. Plus Murray is tough and wins. We wouldn't have to change up much of our offense, if any if Locker goes down again and we put Murray in.

5. titans1839

titans1839 Starter

I agree with what you said about Chris and that's the point. If we are able to get him going and open a few more holes, he could be elite again. Has bad as he is playing, he is still a top 15 back, plus he is not making as much these last 3 years.

I also hope that people don't over look these 3 SEC qb's. They are all great game managers and have been facing the toughest, most complex defenses every week for 2-3 years. They are has NFL ready as you can get. Plus, if Locker plays bad and they play bad, munch will be out and we will have a top pick again.

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Look at a similar thread from last season. Ayers and Brown were the two names we were all excited about having breakout seasons.

For those who want to clean house, look no further than how players are developing to evaluate the position coach. Right now, I'd say Maxie/Brown has done well with the secondary. Parlavecchio hasn't done anything with the linebackers and has made a strength a weakness.

• High Five High Five x 3
  7. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Not surprising. I recall most of us here scratching our heads when that move was made. LBs were playing well so naturally we fired the LB coach and replaced him with the assistant special teams coach. It should come as no surprise to anyone that this guy was college roommates with ole Munch.

8. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

New coaching staff should only keep on Shawn Jefferson and Maxie as positional coaches.

9. TitansWillWin2

TitansWillWin2 Pro Bowler

he doesnt dance anymore that is his problem. He is afraid of getting a negative run play b/c everyone bashes him for it. This is what you guys wanted! A workhorse rb who get positive yards on a consistent basis.

10. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

I believe the savings with Wimbly for next year will only be $600K after his signing bonus is pro-rated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar