Scott Wells signs with Rams

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by corymiller, Mar 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

We wouldn't have brought in the 2 top centers in FA if we didn't feel we had a major need in that area. I certainly think that the Titans FO expected to land one of them. Only 3 scenarios make sense to me to explain why we didn't shell out the money for one of them.

1) Maybe neither one of them wanted to play with Manning and his constant audibles at the LOS

2) The Titans FO feel really good about our chances to get Manning and are going to immediately sign Jeff Saturday for cheaper than Wells/Myers

3) They are going to spend the extra money and make a run at Kameron Wimbley and nab Knoz at #20 in the draft.

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

If we go O-lineman in the first, I'm going to flip out. Our d-line is unquestionably the worst in the NFL right now.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

We could still make an impact by going out and getting Cameron Wimbley and re-signing Jason Jones. Morgan, Jones, Casey and Wimbley wouldn't be a bad starting front 4. resign Ball and add a draft pick at both DE and DT.

4. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

That even sounds mediocre...

5. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

Personally I want us to get away from the 4-3 and move to the 3-4. Wimbley, Ayers and Morgan would make a nice starting point for our OLbers in a 3-4. Draft Hightower as a ILber and as another guy that could be a rush OLber in some packages.

Now that would give a creative DC the personnel to dial up some blitzes.

6. Alzarius

Alzarius Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

And the 2 DE's would be?

7. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

What makes people think Morgan is capable of playing 3-4? Why would we dump McCarthy after such a promising rookie season? McCarthy looked much better than Ayers last year, he looks like a guy we can build around.

I am assuming Klug would be one of the ends he was talking about. We have a good foundation with the 4-3 with only 1-2 holes. Switching to a 3-4. we are hoping most of those guys can transfer over while dumping promising young guys.

If the 3-4 was going to happen, it would have happened last year. I doubt it even crossed the coaching staffs mind. I really wish people would stop bringing it up because it makes little sense to switch to that.

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

lol. Not wrong there.

9. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

I think that the transition to a hybrid or 3-4 look did start last yr. We drafted Ayers in the 2nd end and he is a perfect 3-4 OLBer. We also picked up Shaun Smith who has been a 3-4 NT most of his career.

I'm just trying to come up with some way that we can actually produce a pass rush. I just don't see how we can do that staying with the 4-3 at this point. We have Morgan at DE and that is it. Kamerion Wimbley is by far the best DE still left on the market, but he is best suited as a 3-4 OLber. Dave Ball is probably the next best DE still left on the FA market. That shows that their isn't a whole lot left.

I would not feel good about Morgan, Ball, and a rookie DE being our top 3 DEs. But as it stands now that is the best I can figure out.

Please show me your DE depth chart if we stay in a 4-3?

10. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

Finding DEs for a 3-4 is not near as hard as finding impact DEs in a 4-3.

The real question is who are going to be our DEs in a 4-3? Please show me what you would do to fix the mess we have their.

I can't come up with a decent solution to fix the pass rush in a 4-3. I can come up with a way to fix it with a hybrid or 3-4 look. Wimbley, Morgan, Ayers, and draft Hightower.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar