Scaife Getting the Franchise Tag

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TorontoTitanFan, Feb 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

In many cases, it makes more sense to use the tag on guys who don't play vital positions where the big bucks are paid. It only costs $4.46 mil. to tag Scaife and now the Titans have all year to work on a longterm deal (or trade him). At such a low cost, why wouldn't you do that?

If the Titans had let Scaife go, they wouldn't have been able to bring in a better TE for $4.46 million. Some of you will claim that Gonzalez could be had for that, but keep in mind that he's not a FA and it would probably take a high draft pick to get him. Scaife at $4.46 million or LJ Smith at $3 million... I'll take Scaife.

This is just a crazy idea, but what about trading Scaife for Gonzo? The Chiefs could work out a longterm deal with Scaife beforehand and the end result would be almost as if the Titans decided to let Scaife go in free agency and signed Gonzo as a FA (and the best part is that you don't lose a high draft pick). Probably won't happen, but it's something to ponder.

2. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

I could see Bo having his best season if we land a #1 WR.

3. psychotictitan

psychotictitan Its About That Time...

I was hoping we didnt let Scaife walk out the door, i think hes got better every year and has been one of the more consistent targets for our QB. If you look at his stats, every year hes increased his receptions and yards since he came to the Titans and his blocking has definitely gotten better as well. I see no reason why he cant have a breakout year this season if we can some how reel in a legitimate WR this year to play with him. This entire offense should be coming back with the exception of Jmac,which i'm sure all of you are disappointed:grrhee:,so we should have no drop off. If anything we should get better with another year under Dinger's system...

4. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

Yeahhhhh. I'm gonna have to go ahead and sort of....disagree with you there. Yeahh.
    [​IMG]

If he was not capable of being sent out anymore, we would never have picked him up.
    We acquired him with the knowledge that he catches anything thrown his way.
    If we had wanted someone to just block, we could have kept Hartsock. I'm not sure if whoever picked up Hartsock is even paying him that much more than what we are paying Algernon.

You can be French and 'give up' on Crump if you want, but I'm not.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. tennygrl619

tennygrl619 Rookie

He's capable as long as he holds on to the ball

6. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Makes a bit more sense the way you guys explain it.

7. Bobo

Bobo Guest

I like this. Maybe the money is a bit high, but we got loads of cash for other signings. He's our best receiving TE and maybe our best receiving option period. Maybe we can replace him adequately, maybe not....maybe we draft another Troupe.

The Gonzo idea just seemed like a pipe dream. We talk about these awesome guys every off season that we would like. But we're not the Cowboys or Redskins, it's just not likely we pick up top FA's.

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

A good move. Scaife is probably demanding a $5M a year deal. Rather than make that commitment just franchise him for $4.46M in a year when we have the space and we get him at his best again because it is a contract year.

My guess is that they offered scaife a deal similar to what gage got about $3.5M a year and scaife didn't take it so knowing they would lose him why not franchise him in a year when we can afford it? We get his highly motivated services for one more year at least. That gives stevens another year to develop.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

For what haynesworth is demanding we can sign both rocky bernard and dunta robinson and have some money left over. If we don't franchise scaife than lj smith might be a possibility for less money.

Edit: My bad the texans already franchised robinson so to get him we need to give up our 1st rd pick. At least. Not that the texans would trade him to us in a million years anyway unless they want vince.

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar